How to Get Connected to Durham Tech
Welcome to Durham Tech! Once you have completed your admissions application, you are ready to attend a ConnectSession. These sessions are required for all first-time college students who will be attending Durham Tech.
What You Will Learn at a ConnectSession
During the ConnectSession, you will accomplish several tasks:
- Learn how to complete the enrollment process and receive information about the resources and services available to students;
- Meet with a professional staff or faculty member who is specially trained to assist you with your transition to Durham Tech;
- Schedule an appointment with an academic advisor to allow you to register for your classes;
- Review your program choice to determine if it is the best match for your career goals;
- Learn how to schedule an appropriate course load based on your personal and academic responsibilities;
- Learn how to prepare for the placement test; and
- Learn how to activate your ConnectMail account and see how to use WebAdvisor to register for classes.
- Select one of the following five ConnectSession options based on your intended program of study:
- Career and Technical Program Session ConnectSession – includes Applied and Public Service Technologies; and Business, Education, and Information Technologies
- University Transfer/Visiting Student Session – includes Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and General Education
- Health Technologies Session
- Orange County Session – includes all programs of study
- Northern Durham Session – includes all programs of study
- Use the calendar to see when ConnectSessions are available. Available dates are designated with an orange box. If a date is not highlighted that means that no sessions are offered or have already been filled. Once you have selected a date, click on the available time slot to reserve your seat.
- Fill in the information on the request form including name, ConnectMail address, phone number, and student ID number. Once you have completed the information, select “Submit Your Request.”
A confirmation email will be sent to the email account you use when you register for your ConnectSession. You will also receive a reminder email 48 hours prior to your scheduled ConnectSession. This page also includes important reminders, so please read it carefully.
Students with 12 or more transferrable college credits are welcome and encouraged to attend a ConnectSession, but are not required to do so. Students enrolled in an online program (i.e. Fire Protection Technology, Emergency Management, Fire Management Certificate, Fire Inspection Certificate, Business Continuity Certificate, Clinical Trials Research Associate – Level II Certificate, Occupational Safety Certificate, or Optical Apprentice Certificate) have the option of either attending a ConnectSession in person or completing the online orientation.
What to know before attending a ConnectSession
What should I bring to my ConnectSession?
Your student ID number and password(s) if you have already set up your ConnectMail and/or WebAdvisor accounts.
When do ConnectSessions begin?
ConnectSessions begin promptly at the start time noted. If you are unable to attend the entire session, have to leave early, or arrive late, you will need to sign up to attend another session. Please select a day and time that will allow you to attend the entire session.
Can I bring a guest with me?
Seating is limited and reserved for new students attending ConnectSessions. Guests may wait in the College Café and Welcome Desk area on the first floor.
Where do I go for my ConnectSession?
All ConnectSessions are held in a computer lab. No food or drinks will be permitted.
Double-check the location you have chosen to attend a ConnectSession. Main Campus ConnectSessions will be held at the Main Campus, 1637 East Lawson Street, Durham. Orange County Campus ConnectSessions will be held at the Orange County Campus in Hillsborough, 525 College Park Road. Northern Durham Center ConnectSessions will be held at the Northern Durham Center, 2401 Snow Hill Road, Durham. Allow for enough travel time so you won't be late!
Student applicants and other visitors must obtain a temporary visitor’s permit at the Campus Police and Public Safety office, located in the Building 8, next to the Wynn Center.The visitor permit should be clearly displayed inside the left front windshield of the vehicle. For additional information, please review the information located on in the parking section.
Are accommodations provided at ConnectSessions for students with special needs?
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation(s) for for the ConnectSession, contact Disability Services at 919-536-7208. Please give staff at least two weeks notice prior to the session you are registered to attend to process your accommodation request.
I am exempt from the ConnectSession; what is my next step?
Students who do not attend a ConnectSession must make alternate arrangements to complete academic advising prior to registration. Visit the Advising section for more information about advising options.
What if I need help?
If you have any questions or difficulties in scheduling your ConnectSession, please contact the ConnectCenter during normal business hours at 919-536-7200, ext. 0.