- Academic Alert
- Make Up Testing
- Computer Center
- Developmental Math Lab
- Placement Test Skills
- CAE Home
Placement Test Skills
The COMPASS Math Placement Test asks you to choose the best answer for multiple-choice problems in the following three areas:
- Basic skills – performing a sequence of basic operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
- Application – applying basic operations to word problems that sometimes involve more than one step.
- Analysis – demonstrating that you understand the principles and relationships in mathematical operations.
During the Test
- Read each question slowly and carefully.
- Do your best to answer the question correctly. This is a smart test. If you miss several questions in a row, the test will stop and you won't be able to continue.
- You can change your answer as much as you wish until you click the "Go On" icon.
- Questions are presented in a somewhat random order from a large pool. If the first question seems very hard, don't worry. The next question may be easier.
- Realize that some problems may have two or more steps. Don't automatically choose one of the answers just because it matches one of your calculations. Perhaps your calculation is correct – but as a step along the way rather than final answer.
- If you simply don't understand the question or the material seems completely unfamiliar, take a guess and move on.
ACT COMPASS sample questions can be found at http://www.act.org/compass/sample/ or at http://www.testdatescentral.com/sat-test-dates.html
Additional Placement Test Prep Sites
Accuplacer for students (with iPhone app): http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students
COMPASS, ASSET, PSAT, ACT, SAT and other standardized tests: http://www.testpreppractice.net/