General Educational Development (GED) Preparation
The GED® Test Battery is based on high school curriculum standards and certifies mastery in four subject areas: language arts, social studies, science and math. The GED® diploma is the certified equivalent of a traditional high school diploma. Students may take courses to prepare for the battery of official GED® tests. Courses are offered in traditional classroom and lab settings as well as online. In some settings, students are able to work at their own pace. For further information about these courses and a complete schedule, please call 919-536-7218.
|M–Th||8/24–12/10||9 a.m.–1 p.m. and 5:30–7:30 p.m||WHITE|
Durham Tech now offers Pre-GED/GED online instruction. Qualified students may prepare for the GED® test from the comfort of their homes. Eligible students must have Internet access and possess the ability to work independently. All interested students must attend a pre-online study orientation. For further information, view the High School Equivalency section.
GED Testing Program
Durham Tech is approved to administer the General Educational Development Test Battery by the North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges and the American Council on Education. The GED® Testing Center on Durham Tech’s Main Campus provides regularly scheduled testing. GED® tests are NO LONGER administered at other off-campus locations in Durham and Orange counties. Testing accommodations are available to candidates with documented disabilities.
To sit for a GED test, students must:
- Demonstrate mastery of the test content area by passing an official GED® Practice Test.
- Make an appointment at ged.com.
- Endorse the appropriate GED® testing forms.
- Pay $80 for the entire test battery. The test is free for Durham and Orange county residents.
FREE GED® Testing for Durham and Orange County Residents
The $80 testing fee is waived as a result of ConnectFunds, a program that offers financial assistance to Durham and Orange county residents seeking additional education, job training, or retraining. The funds are accrued for Durham County through a quarter-cent Sales and Use Tax that voters approved in November 2011. Orange County approved a general appropriation to the college.
Follow these steps:
- Go to www.myged.com to sign up or register for the GED® test.
- Take the online GED® practice test and obtain a minimum score of 146. The cost for the GED® Practice Test is $24 ($6 per test subject) and is not included in the free GED® waiver. Please print and bring your practice test score to the Testing Center at Durham Tech, located in room 1300 of the Wynn Center, 1637 Lawson St., Durham.
- After completing the first two steps, report to the Testing Center at Durham Tech to schedule your official GED® test. The free test can only be scheduled at the Durham Tech Testing Center and not online. All candidates must present a valid photo ID showing a Durham County address. Minors (ages 16-17) must bring a signed and notarized parental consent form to the Testing Center to be eligible.
Candidates approved for special testing accommodations should contact Pearson VUE at 800-466-0450 for scheduling.
The Durham Tech Testing Center hours for GED® test scheduling are as follows:
- Mondays: 9–11:30 a.m. and 3–6 p.m.
- Tuesdays: 11:30 a.m.–3 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 3–7 p.m.
For additional information, contact the Durham Tech examiner at 919-536-7200, ext. 3201 or ext. 3206.