CGL Home
ESL Program
Beyond Basic ESL
Academic EFL English as a Foreign Language
Translation/Interpretation Programs
International Admissions
Current F-1 Students
International Students Club
Study Abroad
  Why Should You Study Abroad?
CGL Faculty and Staff

Contact the CGL
White Building,room 58
Phone: 919-536-7264
Fax: 919-536-7281

Center for the Global Learner
Durham Technical Community College
1637 East Lawson Street
Durham, NC 27703


Prospective International Students

Admissions Requirements for Those Who Are Not Currently in the U.S.

Durham Tech will not issue an I-20 for an F-1 visa until after a prospective student has come to the U.S., has completed the checklist for change of status, and has met with a designated school official.  Admissions steps, which include taking the COMPASS placement test at Durham Tech, can be found in the admissions section of the website.

Durham Technical Community College is an open-door institution, and persons who meet the admissions requirements are usually accepted, although some programs, such as nursing, have additional requirements, competitive admissions, and limited enrollment. After acceptance into the college, students will be advised how to apply to the Department of Homeland Security for a change of status to F-1 visa status.  This process can take several months and there is no guarantee of approval.

Frequently asked Questions for Prospective Students

Do my transcripts need to be in English?

Yes, and the English translation must be completed by a certified translator.

Will my previous university credits transfer ?

Transfer credit is determined on a course-by-course basis depending on the program of study. All transcripts from non-US institutions must first be professionally evaluated. View the suggested list of evaluation services. Durham Tech does not accept course credit for English courses taken at educational institutions outside the United States.

How Much Do Credit Courses Cost per Semester?
It is important to prepare for the cost of college — including course tuition, fees, and books. Here’s an example of two students’ cost estimates for attending Durham Tech and paying the in-state tuition rate. One student is taking 12 credit hours, and another student is taking 16 credit hours per semester.
In-State Tuition Rate* (Per Credit Hour):   $72 $72
Multiply by Credit Hours Taken: X 12 16
Tuition Amount: = $864 $1,152
Add Student Administrative Fee*: + $46 $46
Tuition* and Fees* for One Semester: = $910 $1,198
Estimate for Book Costs: + $500 $650
Estimate for Tuition*, Fees*, and Books: = $1,410 $1,848
* Tuition and fees are subject to change.

View a more detailed Tuition and Fee calculation chart .

Can I take the placement tests somewhere else?

No, the COMPASS placement test must be taken at one of the three Durham Tech campuses in North Carolina.

Is the COMPASS test the only one that I need to take?

Students who are applying for a Health Technologies program will need to meet additional English language requirements.  Please see the Health Technologies English Language requirement for additional information. 

Can I get an I-20 for the ESL program?

No, Durham Tech does not issue an I-20 for this noncredit program.

Do you have scholarships and financial aid?

Durham Tech has no financial aid available for non-resident international students. Non-resident international students pay North Carolina out-of-state tuition fees.

Will you provide housing?

Durham Tech has no dormitories or other living facilities. Students must make their own living and transportation arrangements.

Do I need health insurance?

Enrollment in a U.S. health insurance policy for international students is highly recommended. 

How do I apply for admission to a curriculum program?

View the Admissions Steps for International Students document.

If you have further questions, please call Heidi White, director of international student services, at 919-536-7200, ext. 4052, or email

For Those in the U.S. with Another Visa

For those who are in the U.S. with another valid visa, it may be possible to change visa status to F-1 student visa. The checklist for change of status lists everything that must be completed before we can issue the I-20. The I-20 is then used to apply for the F-1 student visa (either by returning to the home country or by submitting an application for change of status to USCIS in the Department of Homeland Security). Please note that you must be "in status" with your current visa in order to be admitted into a Durham Tech curriculum program of study and to receive an I-20.

After reviewing the checklist, if you need more information about admissions and possibly changing your current visa to F-1 student visa status, please contact Heidi White at or 919-536-7200, ext. 4052. General admissions information is also available under the general admissions area of our website.

For F-1 Visa Transfer Students

To be eligible to transfer to our college, your current school must verify that you hold the F-1 visa in good standing. If this is not the case and you have fallen "out-of-status" with your F-1 visa, Durham Tech will not admit you into a curriculum program of study at the present time. Please view the checklist for transfer and the transfer clearance form that your current school must complete.


Durham Technical Community College
1637 East Lawson Street
Durham, NC 27703

Copyright ©Durham Technical Community College. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy l Conditions of Use