The State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) Foundation has established a Continuing Education Scholarship program at Durham Tech for students to upgrade their current job-related skills or gain new ones.
These scholarships are competitive. All applicants must have a high school diploma or GED and meet fee waiver criteria. To be considered for these scholarships, students must:
- Be a US citizen and a NC resident living in Durham Tech’s service area of Durham and Orange counties.
- Be enrolled in a short-term training program that leads to a state-regulated or industry-recognized credential that is offered through Durham Tech’s Continuing Education division.
- Not be a director, employee, or family member of an employee of SECU or the SECU Foundation.
- Be one of the following:
- Unemployment insurance claimant.
- Unemployed or underemployed adult.*
- Received notification of a pending layoff.
- A member of the NC National Guard.
- Military veteran or spouse.
*Underemployed is defined as individuals earning below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines
Five scholarships of $750 each will be awarded during each of the two award periods: Fall Semester 2014 and Spring Semester 2015. Funds may be used to pay for registration fees, books, certification fees, and course supplies. Students may use excess funds to pay for childcare, transportation, or living expenses.
A scholarship selection committee will review all applications and select recipients. Please submit your scholarship application and Fee Waiver Verification form, course registration form, and proof that you have met the course prerequisites, in person to a Durham Tech location:
- Main Campus Corporate Education Center
1637 Lawson Street, Durham, NC 27703
Phone: 919-536-7222, ext. 4011; Fax: 919-536-7277
- Orange County Campus
525 College Park Road, Hillsborough, NC 27278
Phone: 919-536-7238, ext. 4203; Fax: 919-536-7297
- Northern Durham Center
Snow Hill Road , Durham, NC 27712
Phone: 919-536-7240, ext.4405
- Northgate Mall
1058 West Club Blvd., Lower Level
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: 919-536-7222, ext. 4313; Fax: 919-536-7298
Fall Semester 2014: August 8
Spring Semester 2015: January 7
Scholarship recipients must consent to the release of their names and images for publications of the NC Community College System office, Durham Tech and its foundation, and SECU and its foundation. Recipients must also agree to provide testimonials for use by the aforementioned organizations at the completion of their course of study.