The State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) Foundation has established a Continuing Education Scholarship program at Durham Tech for students to upgrade their current job-related skills or gain new ones.
To be considered for this competitive scholarship program, applicants must:
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Meet fee waiver criteria.
- Be a US citizen and a NC resident living in Durham or Orange County.
- Be enrolled in a short-term training program that leads to a state-regulated or industry-recognized credential that is offered through Durham Tech’s Continuing Education division.
- Not be a director, employee, or family member of an employee of SECU or the SECU Foundation.
- Belong to one of the following groups:
- Unemployment insurance claimant.
- Unemployed or underemployed* adult.
- Received notification of a pending layoff.
- A member of the NC National Guard.
- Military veteran or spouse.
*Underemployed is defined as individuals earning below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines
There will be one award period for Spring Semester 2015. Scholarships are $750 each, and the application deadline is January 7. Funds may be used to pay for registration fees, books, certification fees, and course supplies. Students may use excess funds to pay for childcare, transportation, or living expenses.
A scholarship selection committee will review all applications and select recipients. Please submit your scholarship application and Fee Waiver Verification form, course registration form, and proof that you have met the course prerequisites, in person to a Durham Tech location:
- Main Campus Corporate Education Center
1637 Lawson Street, Durham, NC 27703
Phone: 919-536-7222, ext. 4011; Fax: 919-536-7277
- Orange County Campus
525 College Park Road, Hillsborough, NC 27278
Phone: 919-536-7238, ext. 4203; Fax: 919-536-7297
- Northern Durham Center
Snow Hill Road , Durham, NC 27712
Phone: 919-536-7240, ext.4405
- Northgate Mall
1058 West Club Blvd., Lower Level
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: 919-536-7222, ext. 4313; Fax: 919-536-7298
Spring Semester 2015: January 7
Scholarship recipients must consent to the release of their names and images for publications of the NC Community College System office, Durham Tech and its foundation, and SECU and its foundation. Recipients must also agree to provide testimonials for use by the aforementioned organizations at the completion of their course of study.