The State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) has established a Continuing Education Scholarship program at Durham Technical Community College for students seeking to gain new and/or upgrade their current job-related skills.
Scholarships are competitive, and applicants must have received a high school diploma or GED, and must meet fee waiver criteria. In addition, to be considered for this scholarship program, the student must:
- be a US citizen and a North Carolina resident living in the college’s service area;
- be enrolled in a short-term training program that leads to a state-regulated or industryrecognized credential that is offered through Durham Tech’s Continuing Education program;
- not be a director, employee, or family member of an employee of the State Employees’ Credit Union or SECU Foundation; and
- belong to one of the following groups:
- Unemployment insurance claimants;
- Unemployed and underemployed adults;*
- A member of the NC National Guard; or
- Military veterans and spouses.
*Underemployed will be defined as individuals earning 200% below the federal poverty level. Preference will be given to students with limited or no access to financial aid from other programs.
There will be two award periods, Fall Semester 2013 and Spring Semester 2014, with five scholarships of $750 apiece awarded per period. Funds may be used to pay for registration fees, books, certification fees, and course supplies. Excess funds may be distributed to the student to pay for expenses such as childcare, transportation, or living expenses; a student must demonstrate satisfactory progress toward course completion to be eligible for excess funds.
Recipients of the scholarships must consent to the release of their names and images for publications of the NC Community College Systems office, Durham Technical Community College and/or its Foundation, and/or the SECU and its Foundation. Recipients must also agree to provide testimonials for use by the aforementioned organizations at the completion of their course of study.
A scholarship selection committee will review all applications and select recipients. The scholarship application deadline for spring semester is January 9. Please submit your scholarship application and Fee Waiver Verification form, course registration form, and proof that you have met the course prerequisites, in person to a DTCC location:
- Main Campus Corporate Education Center
1637 Lawson Street, Durham, NC 27703
Phone: 919-536-7222, ext. 4011; Fax: 919-536-7277
- Orange County Campus
525 College Park Road, Hillsborough, NC 27278
Phone: 919-536-7238, ext. 4203; Fax: 919-536-7297
- Northern Durham Center
Snow Hill Road , Durham, NC 27712
Phone: 919-536-7240, ext.4405
- Northgate Mall
1058 West Club Blvd., Lower Level
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: 919-536-7222, ext. 4313; Fax: 919-536-7298