To succeed as an online learner, you'll need good study skills, time management skills, and the right computer gear.
Take a quiz to find out if online learning is right for you.
What skills do I need to be successful in an online course?
Students taking online classes have a greater responsibility for their own success than students in traditional classroom settings. A successful online learner is one who…
- Is self-motivated to log in regularly, find details about assignments, and seek out help when needed.
- Is self-disciplined and able to work on a flexible schedule without getting behind.
- Can dedicate enough time to each course. Online classes require at least as much time as traditional classes, and often more. A typical 3-credit online course can easily require 9-12 hours per week.
- Is good at reading and writing. Online classes require more reading and writing than traditional, on-campus classes.
- Has good computer skills. You must be comfortable sending and receiving e-mail, navigating web pages, and using computer software, such as word processors.
- Has convenient, dependable access to a computer that meets the technical requirements listed below.
- A computer (PC or Mac) with high-speed Internet access
- A ConnectMail email account (provided by Durham Tech)
- A reasonably current web browser (Firefox or Chrome are recommended). Download Firefox or Chrome
Note to Mac users: Use the free Firefox web browser instead of Safari.
In addition to the above, the following online courses require special software or equipment:
|To take this class online…||You must have access to this exact software or equipment…|
|CIS 110||Microsoft Office 2013 Professional (including Word 2013, Excel 2013, PowerPoint 2013 and Access 2013)|
|CIS 113||Microsoft Office 2013 Professional (including Word 2013, Excel 2013, PowerPoint 2013 and Access 2013)|
|CTR 130-420||High-speed Internet access (minimum 1 Mbps); a working headset with a microphone attached; and a Web cam|
|CTR 220-420||High-speed Internet access (minimum 1 Mbps); a working headset with a microphone attached; and a Web cam|
|DBA 110||Microsoft Access 2013|
|OST 136 or OST 236||Microsoft Word 2013|
|SPA 212||A working headset with a microphone attached.|