Faculty and Staff Home > Employee Handbook  > Section V-2: College Property

Section V-2: College Property

Computer Software

Durham Technical Community College requires that all students, faculty, and staff abide by the law and the college's licensing agreements that protect computer software from unauthorized use. The college does not require, request, or condone unauthorized copying or use of computer software. When the college purchases or licenses the use of copies of computer software, it does not own the software or its documentation. Unless authorized by the software developer, students, faculty, and staff at the college do not have the right to copy or distribute the software or its documentation. Loading software from one disk to multiple computers is illegal unless specifically allowed by the license with the software company. The college abides by any special license agreements relating to the use of software on local area networks or on multiple machines.

Software installations in instructional labs are the sole responsibility of the Information Technology Services Department. Requests for an instructional lab installation should be forwarded by an individual instructor to his/her program director who will forward it to the Instructional Computing Director where it will be reviewed and, if approved, sent to the Information Technology Services Department for installation for the following semester.

It is the responsibility of any Durham Technical Community College employee who is aware of the misuse of software or related documentation at the college to notify his/her supervisor or the Information Technology Services Director. Additional information is available in the Appropriate Use of Computing Resources policy.


The Auxiliary Services Director is responsible for administering and coordinating the state regulations for equipment inventory control. All equipment valued at $1000 or more is assigned an equipment identification number, tagged, and placed on the equipment inventory record. The college conducts a complete equipment inventory annually. All employees should make every effort to provide adequate security of equipment.

Personal use of state-owned equipment is not authorized. Equipment should not be removed from the campus without written approval from the Division Head and the President. A copy of the written approval is to be forwarded to the Auxiliary Services Director. This policy does not apply to those items permanently assigned to off-campus locations.

Equipment Distribution

The Program Director or Department Head may approve the distribution of usable, workable equipment within its program or department without additional approval. If the equipment cannot be used within the program or department, then the Division Head can approve distribution within the division. If the equipment cannot be used within the division, then the President's Leadership Council will determine distribution within the college. In all cases, the Program Director or Department Head who is transferring the equipment must complete the Equipment/Furniture Move Request portion of the Work Order Request form. This form includes the serial number, inventory number, model number, description, previous location, and new location for the equipment being moved. Facility Services staff will then report the equipment location change to the Auxiliary Services Director. The Auxiliary Services Director reflects the change of location in the college's equipment inventory. To surplus unusable equipment, this process is followed with the addition of the Program Director or Department Head also completing the Request to Surplus/Sale Equipment form.

Keys and Keyless Entry

The Mail Courier in Facility Services issues mailbox keys, if needed. Campus Police and Facility Services work together to issue keys to employees’ offices and instructional spaces as approved. College employees must not reproduce keys.

All full-time and part-time employees are required to have and wear a college ID/access card. (See also Employee Photo Identification/Key Card in Section IV-2.) All employees automatically receive access to the faculty/staff lounges and mail rooms through their ID/Access cards. Program directors and supervisors should direct new employees to the Campus Police and Public Safety office to obtain their college ID/access card. The college ID/access card can be produced Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Campus Police and Public Safety office located in Building 8 on the Main Campus. If an employee needs access to any card reader door(s) other than the lounges or mail rooms, a request must be submitted on the Key/Keyless Entry Request form.  The Key/Keyless Entry Request form is available on the college website.
Any full-time or part-time employee who needs a key or keyless entry should submit a Key/Keyless Entry Request form. The form is to be completed and routed through the employee’s Director, Coordinator, and/or Department Head, as appropriate, and then to the Director, Campus Police and Public Safety. The Director, Campus Police and Public Safety sends the request for keys to the college locksmith to make the key(s) if necessary. The requestor is asked to pick up the key(s) from the Campus Police and Public Safety office and sign for them on a copy of the Key Issue form. If an employee has requested keyless entry to a card reader door, once approved, access will be added to their college ID/access card.

The Lost Key Report form is also used for reporting lost keys or college ID/access cards. It is important that Campus Police and Public Safety be notified as quickly as possible when keys or college ID/access cards are lost.

Keys and college ID/access cards are college property to be returned through the appropriate Supervisor to the Director, Campus Police and Public Safety upon an employee's resignation and departure from the college. Failure to return keys and the college ID/access card may result in the college holding the employee's final paycheck and/or deducting the costs of the ID/access card or keys and any necessary re-keying caused when keys are not returned. Supervisors signing off on an employee’s check out of keys then become responsible for the key and re-keying costs of unreturned keys or college ID/access cards.

The part-time employee’s administrator is responsible for seeing that any keys and ID/access cards are returned when the part-time employee is no longer employed by the college. All keys and college ID/access Cards must be returned to the Director, Campus Police and Public Safety. Keys are not to be passed on to another employee.


Durham Technical Community College
1637 Lawson Street
Durham, NC 27703

Copyright ©Durham Technical Community College. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy l Conditions of Use