Honors Program at Durham Tech
The Honors Program at Durham Technical Community College provides advanced opportunities for learning, leadership, and service within the arts and sciences curriculum for academically motivated students to enrich their (and others’) experience in the classroom, on campus, and in the community and to prepare them for meaningful participation in the global economy.
To be eligible to participate, the student must submit an academic reference letter and be finished with all developmental course work prior to the semester in which they attempt an honors option.
The deadline for submitting proposals for spring 2014 has passed. Please review the Honors Proposal Guidelines and complete the Proposal form.
How to Participate
Each semester, the student will:
- Enroll in a designated Honors course*;
- Contact the instructor on the first day of class and indicate your desire to complete an Honors project; and
- Collaborate with the instructor to design an Honors proposal. All proposals will be reviewed and approved by the Honors Program Committee. (Submitting an Honors proposal does not a guarantee approval.)
*If you wish to participate in an Honors course, please check this web page regularly for course offerings. All courses are not offered every semester.
Benefits of Participation
Honors seats are limited and very competitive. Register early and plan accordingly.
- Opportunity to do in-depth research and writing related to a particular subject;
- “Honors” indication on grade report;
- Eligibility for Honors designation on transcripts and diploma upon completion of a minimum of 12 hours of Honors course credit with an A or B in each course and a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher;
- Special recognition at graduation;
- Enhanced transfer opportunities; and
- Participation in Honors Program functions.
Congratulations to the fall 2013 completers — job well done!
|Rachel Boushell, BIO 169
Zamir Brown, ENG 231
Alexandra Cox, HUM 110
Meredith Kramer, BIO 111
Sara Laudeman, HUM 110
|Elizabeth McKennedy, ENG 232
Calum O'Mara, BIO 111
Jacobo Rozo-Posso, BIO 111
Emily Shermanski, BIO 111
Samantha Williams, BIO 111
Spring Semester 2014 Honors Courses
ENG 232-102 (DelVecchio)
ENG 252-101 (Bingham)
SOC 213-101 and 213-760 (Dove)
HIS 122-101 and 122-103 (DePalma)
HUM 120-130 (Long)
MAT 285-101 (Memory)
PHI 240-101 and PHI 240-102 (Tilson)
PSY 150-760 and PSY 150-107 (Tolin)
REL 110-190A and 191B (Mancini)
Spring Semester 2014 Honors Program Presentations
Tuesday, April 29
Sara Laudeman and Joel Sherman (MAT 285 with Dr. Memory)
Andrew McCrae (ENG 252 with Ms. Bingham)
Jessie Mesa (PSY 241 with Dr. Cain)
Friday, May 2
Morgan Travis (PHI 240 with Ms. Tilson)
Daniel Daugherty (PHI 240 with Ms. Tilson)
Alexandra Cox (ART 111 with Dr. Penton)
Aryan Zarei (MAT 285 with Dr. Memory)
Friday, May 2
Alexandra Cox (REL 110 with Ms. Mancini)
Sylvan Lorenz (ENG 232 with Ms. DelVecchio)
David Ingram (HIS 132 with Dr. Long)
Luzita Francis (BIO 169 with Dr. Newpher)
Monday, May 5
5–6 p.m., Phillips 325
Andrew McCrae (BIO 169 with Mr. Stauble)
Kaneesha Johnson (ENG 252 with Ms. Bingham)
Jackson Walsh (HIS 122 with Dr. DePalma)
If you would like more information about the Durham Tech Honors Program, please contact Ms.Tracy Mancini, Dean, Arts, Sciences, and University Transfer program.