| The Student Information Specialist serves as the administrative assistant for the Admissions office, which provides student services including admissions, career counseling, and recruitment. More specifically, the duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Create a welcoming and positive relationship with visitors and ensure the exchange is an efficient interaction, provides accurate and up-to-date information, and creates a satisfying experience.
- Manage all reception activities of the front desk of the Admissions office to include answering the telephone, responding to walk-in customers, referring students to appropriate counselors, managing an appointment system for individual counselors, advanced secretarial and various administrative duties, and providing general student services information to customers of the office.
- Monitor and organize all budget and spending processes for various Admissions office budgets to include completion of all invoices and requisitions, maintaining a ledger of expenditures, and monitoring contracts and contractual agreements for part-time staff of the department.
- Create and manage databases, spreadsheets, and electronic communication that support the operations of the office.
- Provide technical support to office employees using Colleague, WebAdvisor, ConnectMail, voicemail or other student information systems.
- Coordinate with staff, the director, college management, and other groups to resolve technical and administrative support issues.
- Supervise temporary part-time hourly employees including work-study students.
- Ensure a continuous and effective backup system for coverage of the reception functions of the office during open office hours.
- Review and suggest updates to information regarding office activities on the campus website.
- Manage all office support activities including ordering via e-procurement and maintaining inventory of adequate supplies, completing work orders for department equipment or furniture in need of maintenance or repair, clerical support, and initiating work orders for various student activities.
- Develop and maintain an organized office environment as indicated by the various activities and needs of the department.
- Ensure proper security for Durham Tech’s student educational records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), state law, NC Community College System regulations, and college policies and procedures.
- Participate in professional development opportunities to keep up-to-date on current college practices, regulations, student information system processes (Colleague), communications management, and excellent customer service.
- Actively participate as part of the office’s team in planning and decision-making for the Admissions office.
- Additional duties shall include other appropriate activities as assigned by the Director, Executive Dean, Vice President, and/or the President.
Associate degree in office systems technologies, information systems, or another related field.
- Two years of experience working as office manager in a customer service setting.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and expectations of the community college student.
- Experience and high-level proficiency with college student information systems (e.g. Colleague or Banner), Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint 2003 or later) and basic query language.
- Keyboarding skills of at least 55 w.p.m. and ability to proofread for grammar, spelling and punctuation with a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational skills, attention to detail, effective oral and written correspondence, and public relation skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse student population including international students and students with physical and/or psychological disabilities.