||Executive Secretary to the President
||Work-Study Positions Assigned to the President’s Office
||July 19, 2012
- Associate’s degree in Office Systems Technology or related field;
- Proficiency in use of Windows, Microsoft Office (specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and an email and contacts software program; and
- Keyboarding skills of at least 55 words per minute.
- A minimum of three years of related work experience.
|Summary of Job Responsibilities:
||The Executive Secretary to the President provides clerical and administrative support to the president and other staff members in the president’s office, as well as serves as office manager for the president’s office.
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to proofread for grammar, spelling, and punctuation, with a high degree of accuracy;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize and manage multiple assignments, with attention to detail and deadlines;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Ability to think and act proactively and without supervision;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse audiences, with sensitivity and diplomacy; and
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and expectations of community college students and personnel.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended time periods;
- Ability to lift at times up to 20 pounds; and
- Good eye and hand dexterity.
|Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the operation of the president’s office and performs regular clerical duties, including drafting and preparing internal and external correspondence, scheduling meetings and appointments, handling incoming telephone calls, receiving visitors, and routing mail;
- Manages correspondence as well as documents and materials requiring response deadlines; signatures of the president, the chair of the Board of Trustees, and other college administrators; and maintains records of correspondence and documents as appropriate;
- Attends, records, and posts information and communications from the president’s meetings as requested;
- Supervises work-study students working in the president’s office;
- Organizes and manages institutional records and files maintained by the president and by other staff in the president’s office;
- Coordinates Board of Trustees meetings, including preparing materials and minutes, scheduling rooms, obtaining refreshments, and arranging for technical or audio/visual support as required;
- Works with the North Carolina Association of Community College Trustees (NCACCT) to ensure that newly-appointed and reappointed trustees attend trustee training;
- Updates NCACCT and Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) websites to ensure they maintain the most current information on the college’s trustees and administrative contacts;
- Notifies members of the Board of Trustees and appropriate college staff about required ethics training and collects and maintains related records and materials;
- Makes travel arrangements for the president, trustees, and staff in the president’s office;
- Schedules the college’s Main Campus meeting rooms, classrooms, and auditorium for use by external agencies, including submitting work orders, billing, and processing payments;
- Serves as custodian of the President’s Discretionary fund and other funds under the president’s control;
- Manages communications, recognitions, remembrances, and special events for college retirees, employees, trustees, elected and public officials, community college presidents, other community college leaders, and college affiliates;
- Updates the college’s staffing chart on a regular basis;
- Coordinates internal and external meetings called by or on behalf of the president, including scheduling rooms, obtaining refreshments, and arranging for technical or audio/visual support as required;
- Posts events sponsored by the president’s office and other events as requested by college employees on the college’s web-based events calendar;
- Processes leave forms and monthly payroll transmittals for the president’s direct reports and others as directed by the president;
- Proofreads and edits The Insider, the college’s monthly publication;
- Updates the NC College Presidents email group;
- Assists with data entry during student registration periods; and
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned by the president.
||Mondays through Fridays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with one hour for lunch for a 40-hour work week established to allow the employee to adequately fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities. Additional hours on evenings and/or weekends may be necessary on occasion. Summer schedules may vary to enable four-day or four and one half-day work weeks.
Return to the Main Employment