Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find the Ed2Go web site?
Go to http://www.ed2go.com/dtcc. This website provides the major source of information about the online courses, so you are encouraged to bookmark this site.
How do online Ed2Go courses work?
Ed2Go's online courses can be accessed over the Internet at any time of day or night. All courses consist of 12 lessons, live instructor support, and each course is supplemented with interactive quizzes, assignments, tutorials, and online discussion areas. Courses are offered once a month and run for six weeks.
Ed2Go courses are offered eleven months of the year, January – November
- Each online course has twelve lessons available on the Internet, two lessons are released per week for six weeks, each Wednesday and Friday. After the final lesson is released at the end of six weeks, a final examination will be released and available for 2 additional weeks.
- Each lesson takes approximately two hours to complete and includes interactive quizzes, assignments, tutorials, and online discussion areas. (Helpful Hint: The Discussion area for each lesson has a large amount of useful information).
- You may take each lesson any day of the week and any time of the day or night within a 7-10 day grace period from the day the lesson is first available.
- If you want a record of your participation in the class, you will need to take the first quiz, and it is suggested that you take the quiz at the end of each lesson.
- You are required to take the final exam for the course if you want a completion certificate.
What do I need to take an online course?
In order to take an online Ed2Go course, you will need:
- Internet access
- Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer web browser
- The latest Adobe Flash and PDF plug-ins. Visit http://www.adobe.com/downloads and click Get Adobe Flash Player and Get Adobe Reader to download these free plug-ins.
Can I take an online course using a Macintosh or iMac computer?
Most of the courses are Macintosh compatible. If a course is not Macintosh compatible, this information will be stated on the course's Requirements tab when you view the course details.
What software and other materials do I need to take my chosen course?
View the course catalog at http://www.ed2go.com/dtcc. Choose the department, then the course you are interested in. Click on the requirements tab. A list of necessary software and course materials will be listed there. You must have the software type and version installed before the class starts, unless the requirements state otherwise.
How do I know if I can be successful in an online course?
Taking a course over the Internet requires the ability to:
- Work independently;
- Devise your own schedule for “attending” class and completing assignments.
- Have the self-discipline and self-motivation to work on a flexible schedule without falling behind.
- Accept greater responsibility for your success than students in traditional classroom settings.
If you want to see if an online course is right for you, visit http://www.ed2go.com/dtcc
- Click on the Department on the left side of the web page, then click on the title of a course.
- Across from the course picture and below the price and Enroll Now button, click on View Demo.
- You can take a free demonstration of the online course.
How do I know which courses you offer and which I want to take?
Visit the http://www.ed2go.com/dtcc website. A list of departments will be displayed. To learn more about a course, select a department, click on the course title for information, and click on the following tabs: Syllabus, Instructor Bio, Requirements, or Student Reviews.
Do I need to come to the Durham Tech campus?
No, the course is completed entirely online.
Can I take my course from more than one computer?
Yes—from any computer and from anywhere on the planet with reliable Internet access; such as the library, a coffee shop, a community center, or your family’s, friend’s, relative’s, or neighbor’s home.
Can I take more than one course at a time?
Yes. However, remember that each lesson takes approximately two hours, so you need to budget about four hours per week per course to allow time to do your lessons.
Do I need a username and password?
Not from Durham Tech. You will create your own username and password when you request a registration form for your class from http://www.ed2go.com/dtcc.
What happens if I go away on vacation for a week or get behind?
No problem. You can request a ten-day extension if you fall behind (but no more than one extension per course). You will be given instructions on how to request an extension in the orientation.
How do I register?
Please review the Ed2Go Registration information.
How much do the courses cost?
All Ed2Go noncredit continuing education online courses at Durham Tech are an affordable $70.
What else do I need to do to get access to my course?
If you requested a class at http://www.ed2go.com/dtcc, you will be emailed a registration form and added to a class roster. A separate online orientation is required for each course you take. If you are taking more than one class, then you must fill out another registration request so you are added to your second class’s roster!
What do I do if I lost my registration form?
You can request a blank registration form from email@example.com.
I can’t remember how I requested a registration form for a class and I want to register for another class. What do I do?
To request an Ed2Go Registration form, go to www.ed2go.com/dtcc and
- Click on the Department on the left side of the web page, click on a sub-category if present, then click on the title of a course;
- Click on the “Enroll Now” button and choose the start date for the class you want to take. Click on the “Continue” button;
- Type in your username and password. Click on the “Continue” button;
- Type in your username and password. Click on the "Sign In" button;
- Click on either button, both will generate an Ed2Go Registration form; and
- You will be sent another registration form to your email address that you can fill out and return with your payment. You will also be added to the class roster, and we can “verify” your payment
How do I begin my course?
When you are ready to take your course, at http://www.ed2go.com/dtcc:
- At the top of the web page, click on “My Classroom”;
- Type in your username and password (it is case sensitive) that you made up when you filled out an orientation or registration form request and click the "Sign in" button;
- You should see an 'Enter' link for each of the classes that you have filled out a request for;
- Click on the 'Enter' button for your class, and you'll see the links (tabs) for the resources, lessons, quizzes, assignments, discussion and completion;
- Click on the link for your first lesson;
- You should then be able to enter the online classroom and begin your studies; and
- REMEMBER, the first lesson is not available until noon on the class start date.
What if I have registered and returned the registration form but still cannot get into the course?
Contact the Ed2Go Administers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What fees do I have to pay if I’m a Senior Citizen (65 or older)?
NC Senior Adults who are 65 or older will need to pay course fees for Ed2Go courses due to budget cuts.
Will I get a certificate?
To be eligible for a certificate, you must take the final exam and you must receive a grade of 70 or above on your final exam.
Once you have passed the class, it is your responsibility to print the online “Letter of Completion” before the classroom closes. The online completion letter can by found by logging into your classroom:
- Click on the “Completion” tab at the top of each web page in your course, or click on the link titled “Completion” on the bottom of each web page in your course; and
- Scroll to the bottom of the web page, and click on the link for the completion letter.
The “Letter of Completion” is far more detailed than any certificate we could send you and should meet your needs.
What if I need a certificate for teacher recertification?
These courses have been approved by Durham Public Schools for hands-on technology license renewal credit. Each course is 2.4 CEUs. Durham Public Schools accepts Ed2Go completion certificates as proof of CEU completion. Please check with your administrator if you have any concerns.
If you are a teacher from a school system other than Durham Public Schools, please contact the appropriate individual in your school system to verify if renewal credit will be accepted for these on-line courses.
When can I receive a refund for an Ed2Go course?
The criteria and steps required for becoming eligible for a refund for an Ed2Go continuing education course are listed below.
Please note: These are NOT valid reasons for asking for a refund after the first two classes have been released for your class:
- I didn’t check the prerequisites, and don’t have the correct software or correct version of the software; or I haven’t taken the correct courses required before taking this course. It is your responsibility to check the course requirements.
- My computer died, or fell asleep, or went to Tahiti. You can take this course on any computer, any where.
- I had to go out of town for business, a funeral, vacation, etc. In your course orientation, you are given the information you need to request a course extension of 10 days.
- I’m way behind; I took too many classes at the same time, and can’t keep up; or I didn’t budget my time! Please see the FAQ’s above which describe how to take a class, the time involved, and how to ask for a 10-day extension of your class.
What are Durham Tech’s official refund policies for continuing education (non-credit) classes?
- A 100 percent refund of registration fees may be made upon the request of the student if the student officially withdraws from a class prior to the first class meeting, which is the first day that an Ed2Go class lesson is made available to you, in the month you registered to take the course. For additional refund information and the official refund form, please see Course Cancellations and Refund Policy for Non-Credit courses.
- A 75 percent refund may be made upon request of the student if the student officially withdraws and requests a refund prior to the 10 percent point in the class. For Ed2Go classes, you must request a refund using the Ed2Go official refund form, prior to the 10% point in the class for the month you registered to take a course (13 days from the class start date). For example, if your class starts April 16, you must fill out Durham Tech’s official refund form and return it prior to April 30.
If you meet the criteria stated above, Durham Tech will return your refund within four to six weeks. The college refund is by check regardless of the payment option used.
Will Durham Tech add any other courses?
We do plan to add new courses in the future.
What if I have other questions?
If you need help before your course begins, you can click the “About Us ” menu item at the top of each www.ed2go.com/dtcc web page and scroll down to the contact information. However, once your course has begun, please follow the instructions in your course orientation.