skip to main content

Specialty and Instructor Frequently Asked Questions

Registration and Requirements

How do you register, and what prerequisites and corequisites are required for each course?

These courses usually have no additional fees and many providers are fee exempt. Therefore, the online Public Safety registration form may be utilized for course registration. Up to three courses may be typed into the boxes. Please note that Social Security numbers are not necessary; however, agency affiliation and position (EMT, Advanced EMT (Intermediate), Firefighter, Police Officer, etc.) must be completed to determine registration fee wavier status. If this form is utilized for registration and additional fees apply, students will be contacted upon receipt of the form and notified of funds owed.

Possession of a current EMS credential or other healthcare training is strongly recommended; however, anyone may register for online EMS Continuing Education courses.

You will not be here for registration. Can someone else register you?

Anyone may register for you. The Public Safety registration form must be submitted for registration. Make sure that the person registering for you has the correct registration fees.

Textbooks and materials

What books do you need?

  • Anatomy and Physiology for Paramedics
    Bledsoe, B. Anatomy & Physiology for Emergency Care, 2nd ed. With OneKey Blackboard access code. ISBN # 9780138147235.
  • Instructor Methodology Course
    Cason, Foundations of Education: An EMS Approach, 2nd Edition ISBN 9781111134884
  • Stand-alone Specialty Courses
    Current edition of course specific textbook is required for each course.

Purchase Books from:

Durham Technical Community College Bookstore, Phail Wynn, Jr. Student Services Center on the Main Campus or online at: Shipping is free for off-campus courses. Courses held at NDC, OCC, and OCSDC are considered off-campus courses.You may also try searching for books at:


Will I receive a certificate upon successful completion of the specialty or instructor course?

Depending on the type of card or certificate offered by the approval agency affiliated with each course (AHA, NAEMT, DT4EMS, etc), certificates will be provided as required based on the agency requirements. Courses without certification or cards will be provided upon successful course completion.

Unofficial transcripts may also be requested by contacying Please allow at least 48 hours lead time for the request.

Registration Fees, Exemptions, and Other Costs

Open Registration

Once the course schedule is available online, you may register at any time prior to the start of the course.

When are registration fees due?

All fees are due at the time of registration. For most courses, registration should be completed no later than one week prior to the course start date.

For specialty courses, registration must be turned in 72 business hours before the start of the course. Specialty courses with less than eight preregistered students are subject to cancellation and refund.

Which fees are exempt?

The tuition fee is exempt if a student is qualified. Other fees, if applicable, are one-time, non-refundable fees paid by all.

Exemption from the FISDAP fee can be proven by having an ALS FISDAP account with Durham Tech from a previous course.

Who is exempt from registration fees?

The Introduction to Emergency Medical Services course is free for you if you are unemployed, working part time, have been notified of a lay-off, or are underemployed. Underemployed persons are working part-time and/or are eligible for the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit. You will be asked to complete a fee waiver form the first day of class. Note that the required $30 fee for the WorkKeys assessments is not covered by HRD fee waiver.

For all other EMT courses, North Carolina Public Safety Workers as defined by the N.C. General Statues are exempt from the registration fee. Proof of affiliation status must be submitted with the registration form. All others must pay the registration fee.

A letter from the student’s affiliated agency must be provided at the time of registration for any course. For courses that continue more than one semester (e.g. Paramedic), a letter must be provided at the beginning of each semester.

If an agency is paying for your course and books, what do you need to bring to registration?

Bring two copies of the letter authorizing payment to register. One copy is for registration and one copy is for the bookstore if the agency is paying for your books. You do not need to bring any money to registration if you are being sponsored by an agency.

Financial Aid

Is there financial aid available?

If you are unemployed, you may qualify for financial aid under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) by calling 919-560-6880.