What are the approximate costs?
- Fire and EMS Tuition . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,108 (waived for emergency service members, only if letter of department membership provided)
- Fire and EMSCAPS Fee . . . . . . . . . . .$8
- Fire and EMSInsurance . . . . . . . . . . $19
- Fire and EMSMaterials/Lab Fee . . . $254
- Total approximate cost. . . . . . . . . . .$1,389
Other Expenses – these are REQUIRED unless otherwise indicated
- TB test – Student's physician
- Hepatitis B Vaccination – Students physician
- Physical – Student's physician
- Textbooks – Students are required and responsible for purchasing all Fire and EMS textbooks. Costs vary depending upon where they are purchased
- Uniforms – Approximate cost $657.30 (see below)
- Turnout Gear Rental – Approximate cost $550 ($100 to be refunded upon return of all gear; required if not a member of a Fire Department)
- High School Transcript or Diploma or GED
- Criminal Background check
- Vehicle driving record
- EMS program additional fees (approximate). Students are required and responsible for purchasing items below before attending the EMS
portion of the academy, no exceptions.
- Textbooks $181 (required)
- Background check (required) $92
- HeartCode Part 1 (CPR) (required) $28.50
- Stethoscope (required) – cost depends on where it is purchased
- Trauma Shears (required)– cost depends on where it is purchased
- Penlight (required)– cost depends on where it is purchased
Funding assistance is available through:
What if I am a volunteer or work at a fire department, rescue department, or EMS?
If you are a volunteer or work at a fire department, rescue department, or EMS , the tuition is waived, but you still must pay the student fee, parking, insurance, and uniform.
What is the schedule?
Classes are held Monday – Friday, 8 a.m.– 5 p.m. There may be an occasional Saturday class if a live burn is scheduled.
Do I need a textbook?
The following textbooks are required (no exceptions):
- Essentials of Firefighting and Fire Department Operations 6th edition, IFSTA/Brady, ISBN: 978-013-314080-4
- Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations, Jones & Bartlett, ISBN-13: 978-0-7637-3872-3
- HeartCode Part 1 (CPR)
- Pre-Hospital Emergency Care 10th edition ISBN: 978-0-13-502809-4
The cost of textbooks vary depending on where they are purchased from. Each student will be responsible to purchasing their own textbooks at the required current edition, no exceptions.
What about my personal protective clothing?
You will need turnout gear. You can rent turnout gear through several vendors at a modest price. Rental will cost approximately $550 ($100 to be refunded upon return of all gear) for the duration of the academy, and the gear is guaranteed and replaced if damaged. Durham Tech will provide helmets (they do not need to be included in turnout gear rental)
What about the breathing equipment?
Students will be provided SCBA (SCOTT brand) and bottles through the academy. This is to ensure that the equipment is safe and has been tested to NFPA standards. A fit test must also be done to insure a proper and safe fit of the mask.
I am a veteran. Can I utilize my Veteran’s Administration (VA) benefits?
Yes. The Durham Tech Fire Academy has been authorized by the VA to allow students to utilize their VA benefits. Call our Financial Aid office at 919-536-7200, ext. 1507 for more information.
I have taken several fire certification courses. Can I receive credit for these courses in the academy?
No. These are block courses and prior credit cannot be granted.
Do I need a physical examination?
Yes, all students are required to have a physical exam prior to participating in the academy. Please use Medical Examination Report form. Each student will need a TB Skin Test and at least begin the Hepitis B vaccine series prior to the academy start date.
What about uniforms?
You must purchase uniforms as required by Durham Tech. Please contact the school director for uniform requirements.
What about running shoes?
You need to purchase a good pair of running shoes. Color does not matter.
What else do I need to do?
Where can I find the forms?
All of the required forms are linked to the left. Return the completed forms to the Northern Durham Center at 2401 Snow Hill Road in Durham.
When, where, and how do I pay my tuition and fees?
Check, certified check, or credit/debit card are accepted for payment. Cash is not accepted. You should bring all required paperwork and payment to the Northern Durham Center at 2401 Snow Hill Road in Durham. You are encouraged to be prepared to pay all tuition and uniforms fees on the open house date. Payments must be received before the start date of the academy or you cannot attend.
Does Durham Tech provide placement or guarantee employment?
Every effort is made to notify students of both local and statewide openings, but employment after completing the academy is not guaranteed. The academy does work hard to help our students gain employment in the Fire Service.
Can I register online?
No. You should fill out the necessary forms and bring them to the Northern Durham Center with your payment.
If you have further questions, contact:
Assistant Fire Academy Coordinator
Northern Durham Center, 2401 Snow Hill Road, Durham, NC 27712
919-536-7200, ext. 4414