- EMT-Initial Provider
- Firefighter/Hazardous Materials
- Technical Rescuer General
- Technical Rescuer Vehicle and Machinery Rescue
- National Fire Academy Mayday
- NC Rapid Intervention Team Safety and Survival
What is the cost?
- Tuition . . . . . . . . . . . $985 (waived for emergency service members)
- CAPS Fee . . . . . . . . . $8
- Insurance . . . . . . . . . $18.70
- Materials/Lab Fee . . $176
- Total . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,170.70 (plus other expenses below)
Other Expenses - these are REQUIRED unless otherwise indicated
- TB test Student's physician
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Students physician
- Physical Student's physician
- Textbooks – $326 (publisher) or $261 (Amazon) – reduced by $35 if you rent EMS textbooks
- Uniforms – $657.30 (see below)
- Turnout Gear Rental – Approximately $550 ($100 to be refunded upon return of all gear; required if not a member of a Fire Department)
- High School Transcript or Diploma or GED
- Career Readiness Certificate Test – $30 (waived for those holding a BS, BA, AS, AA, or AAS) or a COMPASS test reading score of 65 or above.
Funding assistance is available through:
What if I am a volunteer or work at a fire department, rescue department, or EMS?
If you are a volunteer or work at a fire department, rescue department, or EMS , the tuition is waived, but you still must pay the student fee, parking, insurance, and uniform.
What is the schedule?
Classes are held Monday – Friday, 8 a.m.– 5 p.m. There may be an occasional Saturday class if a live burn is scheduled.
Do I need a textbook?
The following textbooks are required (no exceptions):
- Essentials of Firefighting and Fire Department Operations 6th edition, IFSTA/Brady, ISBN: 978-013-314080-4 (Publisher $95 or Amazon $79.13)
- Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations, Jones & Bartlett, ISBN-13: 978-0-7637-3872-3 (Publisher $91.95 or Amazon $71.90)
- BLS for Healthcare Providers (SM)(w/Pocket Ref Card) ISBN: 978-1616690397 (Publisher $18 or Amazon $14.90)
- Pre-Hospital Emergency Care 10th edition ISBN: 978-0-13-502809-4 (Publisher $121 or Amazon $95)
The last two books may be rented for approximately $75.
What about my personal protective clothing?
You will need turnout gear. You can rent turnout gear through several vendors at a modest price. Rental will cost approximately $550 ($100 to be refunded upon return of all gear) for the duration of the academy, and the gear is guaranteed and replaced if damaged. Durham Tech will provide helmets (they do not need to be included in turnout gear rental)
What about the breathing equipment?
Students can use SCBA from their home department, or the academy can supply the equipment. A fit test must be done to insure a proper and safe fit. If you are allowed to use your department’s SCBA, be sure to get a spare bottle.
I am a veteran. Can I utilize my Veteran’s Administration (VA) benefits?
Yes. The Durham Tech Fire Academy has been authorized by the VA to allow students to utilize their VA benefits. Call our Financial Aid office at 919-536-7200, ext. 1507 for more information.
I have taken several fire certification courses. Can I receive credit for these courses in the academy?
No. These are block courses and prior credit cannot be granted.
Do I need a physical examination?
Yes, all students are required to have a physical exam prior to participating in the academy. Please use Medical Examination Report form. Each student will need a Tuberculin Test and at least begin the Hepitis B vaccine series prior to the academy start date.
What about uniforms?
You must purchase uniforms as required by Durham Tech. Please contact the school director for uniform requirements.
What about running shoes?
You need to purchase a good pair of running shoes. Color does not matter.
What else do I need to do?
All academy students must complete the Career Readiness Certification Exam given each Friday at the Corporate and Continuing Education Center at our Main Campus on Lawson Street. You must score a minimum of a silver level. You must also submit a copy of your high school or college transcript or GED to the college.Contact Mary Moore to arrange a CRC test at: email@example.com or call 919-536-7200, ext. 4021.
Where can I find the forms?
All of the required forms are linked to the left. Return the completed forms to the Northern Durham Center at 2401 Snow Hill Road in Durham.
When, where, and how do I pay my tuition and fees?
Check, certified check, or credit/debit card are accepted for payment. Cash is not accepted. You should bring all required paperwork and payment to the Northern Durham Center at 2401 Snow Hill Road in Durham.
Does Durham Tech provide placement or guarantee employment?
Every effort is made to notify students of both local and statewide openings, but employment after completing the academy is not guaranteed. The academy does work hard to help our students gain employment in the Fire Service.
Can I register online?
No. You should fill out the necessary forms and bring them to the Northern Durham Center with your payment.
If you have further questions, contact:
Academic Coordinator, Fire Service
Northern Durham Center, 2401 Snow Hill Road, Durham, NC 27712
919-536-7242 ext. 4414