Durham Technical Community College has the following prerequisites for the Nursing Assistant Program:
- The new prerequisite is a COMPASS Reading placement test score of 70 or better, OR
- Proof of successful completion of DTCC Reading 80 or 90, OR
- Transcript documenting successful completion of a college-level English (ENG 111 or higher) course.
Where do I register?
Registration can be submitted at any one of the designated registration locations:
- Main Campus: Corporate Education Center, 1637 Lawson Street, Durham, NC 27703 (919-536-7222, ext. 4011);
- Orange County Campus: 525 College Park Road, Hillsborough, NC 27278 (919-536-7238, ext. 4203);
- Northern Durham Center: 2401 Snow Hill Road, Durham, NC 27712 (919-536-7240, ext. 4405);
- Northgate Mall: 1058 West Club Boulevard, Basement Floor, Durham, NC 27701 (919-536-7222, ext 4313). Located in the lower level of Office Area #6, just left of Mall Entrance 7; or
- SOUTHBank Building: 400 W. Main Street 3rd Floor, Durham, NC 27701(919-536-7239 ext 4505);
You may also fax your completed registration form to 919-536-7298, Attn: Nursing Assistant Dept.
How do I register?
- Submit completed Continuing Education Registration form;
- Submit prerequisites listed above; and
- Payment for the registration fee of $245 using a credit card, check, or money order; or a letter from a third party agreeing to pay the registration fee.
Do you need a high school diploma or GED?
No, just the prerequisites listed above.
How much does the course cost?
The estimated Total Program Cost is approximately $544. The registration cost is $245. Additional costs are approximately $300 and are outlined below:
- Textbooks: $80
- NA Skill Manual: $5
- Criminal Background Check: $28
- TB Test: $25
- Equipment and Uniform: $60
- NA Exam Fee: $101
What is the Durham Tech refund policy?
- If a class is cancelled, a complete refund is issued automatically within four to six weeks.
- A 100% refund of occupational extension registration fees is issued when the student submits an official request to drop the course PRIOR to the first day of class.
- A 75% refund may be issued when the student makes an official request to withdraw before the class has met 10% of its scheduled time (census date).
- No refund is issued after the 10% point of class.
What books will I need for the first day of class?
Required textbooks are approximately $80.
- Lippincott’s Essentials for Nursing Assistant’s: A Humanistic Approach to Caregiving, 3rd edition by Pamela Carter, (ISBN 978-1-60913-750-2 )
- Workbook for Lippincott’s Essentials for Nursing Assistant’s: A Humanistic Approach to Caregiving, 3rd edition by Pamela Carter, (ISBN 978-1-45114-428-4)
- You will also need the Nursing Assistant I Skills Procedure Manual that is available in the DTCC College Bookstore at a cost of approximately $5.
Will I need anything else for the class?
Equipment and supplies: Costs will depend on the student and where supplies are purchased.
- A hunter green uniform top and pants;
- White shoes with closed heel and toe;
- Stethoscope and transfer belt, (approximate cost $15 each);
- A Three-ring binder, notebook, paper and pens; and
- Watch with a second hand.
Criminal background check: Durham Tech encourages students to complete the criminal background check one week prior to the first day of class. Students are required to use the contracted vendor (FirstPoint). The cost of the background check is $28. Students may access the application at www.studentscreener.com. Use the drop down box to select as follows:
- Durham Tech, then;
- Nursing Assistant;
- Enter your personal information;
- Select your payment method; and
Proof of the following immunizations:
- a. Negative Tuberculin skin test or negative chest x-ray within 6 months of first day of class ($15-$30);
- b. Hepatitis B vaccine or completed vaccine declination form on file;
- c. Childhood chicken pox or copy of titer stating immune status (depending on clinical site); and
- d. Student may be required to have influenza vaccine based on season.
What is the deadline for completion of the background investigation?
Students entering a Nursing Assistant class are asked to begin the background check process one week prior to the first day of class. Students will need to bring a copy of their receipts from FirstPoint Resources.
Who will see the results of my background investigation?
Durham Technical Community College does NOT receive the specifics of a denial.The investigation/screening results are forwarded from Firstpoint to the healthcare facility designated as the student’s clinical site. Durham Technical Community College will be notified by the healthcare facility if the facility elects to deny the student access based on the results of the investigation. The Program Coordinator/ Director will notify the student and the course instructor. The student will not be eligible to continue with the program, or participate with mock testing.
What types of criminal offenses will exclude me from clinical rotation?
Durham Technical Community College is not given a list of offenses that may prevent a student from attending a clinical facility. Healthcare facilities typically use the same criteria for allowing students to participate in clinical rotations as they do for hiring employees. Consequently, they will take into account the nature of the offense(s), the frequency of offense(s), the time that has elapsed since the occurrence and the relationship the offense has to the role of the student. Simply having a criminal record does not automatically disqualify a student from a clinical experience; each student’s background investigation is evaluated independently and a decision is made based on the above criteria.
Is there an appeal process if I am denied access to a clinical facility based on my background investigation?
No. The decision regarding clinical eligibility is solely the decision of the facility.
What is the Durham Technical Community College refund policy if I am denied the opportunity to attend clinical?
If a decision that will prevent the student from attending clinical is made after the class has met 10% of its scheduled time (i.e. 3 days for NAI students), the student will not be eligible for a refund.
Anyone 16 years or older who meets the following criteria may register for the Nursing Assistant course:
- Is currently enrolled in high school;
- Has a letter of consent from a high school administrator,
- Has met the prerequisites.
- No refund is issued after the 10% point of class.
Does the transcript have to be official?
No. However, the transcript MUST identify the college’s name.
Is there financial aid for this course?
The Nursing Assistant Program is Veteran Administration (VA) approved for Veteran tuition benefits. However, this course is a noncredit course, so the Pell grant and other forms of financial aid do not apply. Students receiving other forms of assistance should contact their case worker and inquire about getting assistance.
If an agency (Vocation Rehabilitation, JOCCA, WIA) is paying for my class and books, what do I need to register?
You MUST bring two copies of the letter of payment to registration; one copy to be submitted along with your completed registration form and the other copy will be submitted to the bookstore if the agency is paying for your books.
NOTE: Registration packets will not be accepted until payment authorization is received.
Where do I take the state exam?
Competency testing is offered through Pearson VUE, which has test sites located throughout North Carolina.
Visit www.pearsonvue.com to view regional testing sites and dates, download a practice written exam, view their FAQs, and view the competency skills.
Pearson Vue: North Carolina NNAAP
PO Box 13785
Philadelphia, PA 19101-3785
For additional questions, visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Division of Health Services Regulation, Center for Aide Regulation and Education web site at www.ncnar.org.
Center for Aide Regulation and Education
2709 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2709
919-715-0562 or 919-855-3969.
What is the cost of the competency testing state exam?
The cost for competency testing is $101. Upon successful completion of the course, Durham Tech students can register for the exam. For your convenience, the exam will be given at our Northgate Mall Campus location (for DTCC students ONLY).