Position yourself to start a high-demand career in the health care industry. Students learn the basic nursing skills required to care for patients in a variety of health care settings. Through classroom instruction, laboratory work, and clinical rotations, students prepare to pass the NC Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation, a requirement to be listed on the NC Nurse Aide I Registry.
The course textbook, evidence of negative TB test, uniform, and supplies are required. At students’ expense, they may also be required to undergo a criminal background check and show proof of specific immunizations prior to beginning the clinical portion of the training. Negative findings on the criminal background check may prohibit students from completing the program.
In addition to the traditional Nursing Assistant I (NA I) classes, the Nursing Assistant program offers several options for training specific student populations. The hybrid course is for students who are independent learners with excellent time management and computer skills. The short course is designed for students with previous patient/health care experience or those entering a nursing or other health care education program. The fast track programs are designed for students looking to make a career change and available to attend classes four days a week. Select the course that best fits your needs!
The Nursing Assistant Program is approved by the Veterans’ Administration (VA) for VA tuition benefits.
Prerequisites: COMPASS reading placement test score of 70 or better, OR proof of successful completion of Durham Tech reading course RED 080 or RED 090, OR a transcript documenting successful completion of a college-level English (ENG 111 or higher) course.
Reading placement tests are offered by the Durham Tech Testing Center, 919-536-7210, ext. 1101, or visit the placement testing section. *If you do NOT have a student ID number, you must complete a new student registration form, which will generate a student ID number. Take this ID number plus a photo ID with you when you take the placement test.
Registration and Fees:
- The registration fee is $250.
- The estimated cost for books, uniforms, and equipment is $200. Students may incur additional costs associated with clinical requirements of TB testing, immunizations, and criminal background checks.
To register: Use the Continuing Education registration form. Or visit us at one of our convenient locations:
- Main Campus: Corporate Education Center, 1637 Lawson Street, Durham, NC 27703 (919-536-7222, ext. 4011);
- Orange County Campus: 525 College Park Road, Hillsborough, NC 27278 (919-536-7238, ext. 4203);
- Northern Durham Center: 2401 Snow Hill Road, Durham, NC 27712 (919-536-7240, ext. 4405);
- Northgate Mall: 1058 West Club Boulevard, Basement Floor, Durham, NC 27701 (919-536-7222, ext 4313). Located in the lower level of Office Area #6, just left of Mall Entrance 7; or
- SOUTHBank Building: 400 W. Main Street 3rd Floor, Durham, NC 27701(919-536-7239 ext 4505);
You may also fax your completed registration form to 919-536-7298, Attn: Nursing Assistant Dept.