Nursing Assistant Refresher Frequently Asked Questions
Who can register for the NA I Refresher program?
A student registering for the refresher course must have been listed on a Nurse Aide I Registry within the past five years.
Can I take the refresher class if I was listed on the registry in a state other than NC?
Yes. You must provide verification of listing/certification in the state where you were certified. You must have been listed on the registry within the past five years.
What do I need to register?
- Submit a completed Continuing Education registration form; and
- Copy of Nurse Aide I listing/certification as noted above.
Where do I register?
Registrations can be submitted at any one of the designated registration locations:
- Main Campus: Corporate Education Center, 1637 East Lawson Street, Durham, NC 27703 (919-536-7222, ext. 4011);
- Orange County Campus: 525 College Park Road, Hillsborough, NC 27278 (919-536-7238, ext. 4203);
- Northern Durham Center: 2401 Snow Hill Road, Durham, NC 27712 (919-536-7240, ext. 4405);
- Northgate Mall: 1058 West Club Boulevard, Basement Floor, Durham, NC 27701 (919-536-7222, ext 4313). Located in the lower level of Office Area #6, just left of Mall Entrance 7; or
- SOUTHBank Building: 400 W. Main Street 3rd Floor, Durham, NC 27701(919-536-7239 ext 4505);
You may also fax your completed registration form to 919-536-7298, Attn: Nursing Assistant Dept.
What is the cost for the course?
The registration fee is $160 and must accompany registration. You may pay with a credit card, check, money order, or letter agreeing to pay registration from a third party. Cash payment is accepted only at the Main Campus.
Are there other expenses associated with the course?
Yes. Both the texbook and workbook are available for purchase in the DTCC College Bookstore in the Phail Wynn, Jr. Student Services Center on the Main Campus. Books can also be purchased through online book vendors.
- Textbook: Nursing Assistant Care: The Basics, by Jetta Fuzy, RN, 3rd Edition ISBN: 978-1-6042-5014-5
- Workbook: Hartman's Nursing Assistant Care: Long-Term Care ISBN: 978-1-6042-5015-2
If an agency (Vocation Rehabilitation, JOCCA, WIA) is paying for my class and books, what do I need to register?
You MUST bring two copies of the letter of payment to registration; one copy to be submitted along with your completed registration form and the other copy will be submitted to the bookstore if the agency is paying for your books.
NOTE: Registration packets will not be accepted until payment authorization is received.
Where do I take the state exam?
Competency testing is offered through Pearson VUE, which has test sites located throughout North Carolina.
Visit www.pearsonvue.com to view regional testing sites and dates, download a practice written exam, view their FAQs, and view the competency skills.
Pearson Vue: North Carolina NNAAP
PO Box 13785
Philadelphia, PA 19101-3785
For additional questions, visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Division of Health Services Regulation, Center for Aide Regulation and Education web site at www.ncnar.org.
Center for Aide Regulation and Education
2709 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2709
919-715-0562 or 919-855-3969.
What is the cost of the competency testing state exam?
The cost for competency testing is $101. Upon successful completion of the course, Durham Tech students can register for the exam.
Where else can I take this course?
Most community colleges offer this course. The North Carolina Center for Aide Regulation Education has a list of state approved training locations on their web site at www.ncnar.org.
For additional information or questions regarding the Nursing Assistant Program, please call 919-536-7222, ext. 4314.