Career Planning Selecting the right career path is very important. The process may seem daunting and complicated, but it can be fairly simple if you are willing to first consider the following three steps. It’s recommended that you keep a written list as you think through these questions.
STEP 1: SELF-ASSESSMENT: KNOW WHO YOU ARE
A realistic self assessment will serve as a valuable foundation on which to build better understanding of what you want from a career. This process requires that you take some time to think about your values, skills, personality, and interests. Begin by asking yourself several questions:
- What do I like to do?
- What activities do I find fun, motivating, interesting, and enjoyable?
- What skills and abilities do I have or want to develop?
- What personal style or characteristics do I have that is important to me in the workplace?
- What purpose or goal do I want to accomplish in my career?
STEP 2: RESEARCH, EXPLORE, and LEARN
This step is perhaps the most challenging and requires the most effort. Begin by investigating career choices, options, and opportunities available to you. See reading material that will give you more insight into various careers. Open your mind to possibilities, attend career fairs, talk to people employed in various careers, job shadow or spend time with people in careers that interest you. Ask questions:
- How did you get started in this career?
- What do you like about your job?
- What is the least favorite part of your job?
- What training or education is required?
Answers to these questions should be compared with your list of values, interests, skills and things you know about your personality.
STEP 3: SETTING REALISTIC GOALS FOR YOURSELF
The final step is to develop a reasonable plan to achieve your goals. Here are a few more questions to ask yourself:
- What do I have to do to prepare for this career?
- How much education or training will it require?
- How will I pay for this training?
- What things do I need to put in place in my personal life to clear a path for me to achieve my goals?
It’s important that you find a career that will be an extension of yourself, one that compliments your personality and values, and especially one that you will enjoy. If you take into consideration the three steps presented above, upon completion you will be making an intelligent and informed decisions that will pay off greatly in your future.
REMEMBER, YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO THIS ALONE.
Durham Tech always has help available. For further in-depth information about your career path, visit the admissions office and schedule an appointment to meet with a career counselor.
Orange County Campus Student Services
919-536-7238, ext. 4201
Note: It is strongly recommended that you complete at least one self assessment before meeting with a counselor.
WE RECOMMEND THESE VALUABLE WEBSITES
Durham Tech Career Center
College Foundation of North Carolina
O*NET OnLine – Occupational Information Network