skip to main content

Science Department Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

How do online and hybrid science classes work?

In a hybrid course the lecture portion is online and the laboratory portion is on campus (often following the same lab schedule as the on-campus sections). In an online course, both lecture and lab are done online.

How do I know which type of section I’m registered for (on-campus, online, or hybrid)?

Look at your section number. Usually, on-campus sections on the main campus are numbered in the low hundreds (101, 102, etc.) for daytime sections and the 130’s for evening sections. On-campus sections at OCC are numbered in the 700’s. Fully online sections are numbered in the 190’s and hybrid sections in the 400’s.

Is a McGraw-Hill Connect code required for all classes?

Yes, if it’s listed as a required item on WebAdvisor (under “Textbook Information”)

Does a McGraw-Hill Connect code come with the course textbook?

Only if it’s specifically bundled with a new textbook (which varies from course to course).

Will my access code for McGraw-Hill’s Connect work for another class?

It depends. Connect codes are tied to specific textbooks, so your code for you first-semester class (BIO 111, BIO 168, CHM 151) should work for the second semester course (BIO 112, BIO 169, CHM 152) provided they’re using the same textbook for both semesters. However, your code isn’t valid for a completely different course. For example, the BIO 111 code won’t work for BIO 168 or CHM 151.

Can I take the second course in a sequence (Bio 112, CHM 152, etc) if I earned a D in the first (BIO 111, CHM 151, etc)?

No. The minimum requirement is a C or better in the prerequisite course.

Can I take both parts of a sequence during the same semester?

No. The material taught during the first-semester course is paramount to your understanding of the material in the second. That being said, if you successfully completed the first-semester course previously and wish to take it concurrently with the second (e.g., as a refresher), that may be allowed at the instructor’s discretion.

Can I take the lab or lecture only for a science course?

No. At Durham Tech, lab and lecture are part of a single, combined course. While a few courses are listed as separate components in web advisor (e.g., CHM 130 & 130A), it’s departmental policy to treat them the same as our other science offerings.

Anatomy and Physiology

Does Durham Tech teach any online or hybrid anatomy and physiology courses?

Durham Tech only offers hybrid courses. They are designated with section numbers starting with 450.

How do I know if I am ready to take anatomy and physiology?

You need to make sure that you have taken the prerequisites, which are listed in the course description section of the website. You may also want to take an assessment test to determine how strong your academic prerequisites are (assessment test will be provided as a pdf).

What does an “A” or “B” after the section number of a BIO 168 or 169 course mean?

Those courses are eight-week “mini-mester” courses. They are intended for students who have a strong college science background (i.e., chemistry), and meet—and move—at twice the pace of a regular semester course.


Is BIO 112 ever offered in the fall?

No. Only in the spring.

Does Durham Tech offer a nutrition course?

Yes. Starting in Spring 2014 we will be offering BIO 155 (Nutrition) as an online course.


I need to take a general chemistry course. Should I take CHM 130 or CHM 151?

In most cases, it’s usually CHM 151 (General Chemistry I), but you should double-check with an advisor in the program or school you’re applying to, just to be sure.

I need to take a biochemistry course. Would CHM 130 fulfill this requirement?

Usually not, since only about 10 percent of the course covers biochemistry. You most likely need to take a dedicated course in biochemistry, which isn’t normally offered at Durham Tech, but you should double-check with an advisor in the program or school you’re applying to.

I’m taking CHM 151 online (section 190). How will the online labs work?

Labs are a combination of virtual labs done through Late Nite Labs and hands-on “kitchen” labs done at home. Some of the kitchen labs require a home lab kit that can be purchased at the bookstore.

I’m taking CHM 151 online. Can I purchase the home lab kit somewhere else?

No. Those kits are custom made for this class by Carolina Biological, and they do not sell directly to students.

Is CHM 152 offered entirely online?

No. It’s only offered as a hybrid course to ensure that students needing the general chemistry sequence get at least one semester in an actual lab setting.


Do I need my own rocks for the online section of GEL 111?


Does GIS 111 transfer?


Does GIS 111 count as science credit?

No. Only as an elective.

Can I use the GIS 111 software on a Mac or with Windows 8?

NNo to both. It only runs on Windows XP or 7.

Can I use the GIS software on my netbook or tablet?

It’s not recommended, as it may not work well (or at all) on those type of devices.


Is PHY 251 ever offered in the fall?

PHY 251 is usually only offered in the spring.