- Testing Schedule
- Test Preparation
- Requesting Test Scores
- Course Placement Chart
- TEAS Testing
- Computer Competency
- Pearson Vue Testing
- ESL Listening/Versant
Welcome to Durham Tech's Testing Center
Located in the Phail Wynn, Jr. Student Services Center, room 1302, the Testing Center offers a variety of student assessment services. Information on TEAS, computer competency, and Pearson Vue exams can be accessed using the links in the sidebar. All new students should carefully review the placement information below.
New Student Placement Testing
Most curriculum classes at Durham Tech require college-level skills in reading, writing, and math. If you have not successfully completed college courses in these areas, have not demonstrated college-level skills based upon your SAT or ACT scores (see course placement chart), or plan to enroll in a health technologies program, you should take the placement test to determine which classes you'll need to take in your first semester.
At Durham Tech, we offer the COMPASS placement test, which is comprised of three sections. The COMPASS has no time limit and you may take each part separately if you choose. There is no fee to take any portion of the test. Your scores will be shared with your academic advisor, who will assist you with academic planning and course selection.
It is critical that you take time to prepare for the placement test. Studying for the test will allow you to achieve your best score as well as save time and money with the highest possible course placement.
If special accommodations are required due to functional limitations from a disability, contact the Counseling office at 919-536-7207 or visit the Wynn Student Center, room 1309 for more information.
Please note the following guidelines prior to your arrival at the Testing Center:
- All students must apply to the college and receive a student ID number before taking the placement test.
- All students must bring a photo ID and their Durham Tech student ID number in order to take the test.
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the Testing Center.
- All cell phones and pagers must be turned off during testing.
- Children are not permitted in the Testing Center.
- All testing is on a first-come, first-served basis. Seating is limited and early arrival is advised.
- You must arrive 90 minutes prior to closing for all testing unless noted on the schedule.
- Students are only allowed to take the test twice within a five-year period.
Student applicants and other visitors must obtain a temporary visitor’s permit at Campus Police and Public Safety office located in the Security Annex at the back of the White Building. The visitor permit should be clearly displayed inside the left front windshield of the vehicle. For additional information, please review the information located on in the parking section.