Student Information and Records

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Durham Tech evaluates transfer credit for equivalent courses with the grade of "C" or better from member institutions of the North Carolina Community College System and other post-secondary institutions accredited by a regional accrediting association. Applicants who have been enrolled in any post-secondary institution are required to submit official transcripts of previous academic work to Durham Tech's Student Information and Records office if they desire transcript evaluation for transfer credit. An official transcript is one that is sent directly from the previous high school, college, or university, or is submitted by the student in an official, sealed envelope from the educational institution. Emailed transcripts are accepted through transcript processing services such as CFNC, ADDS, Parchment, and Script-Safe only. Faxed transcripts and diplomas are not accepted as official documents for transcript evaluation.

When Durham Tech receives the official transcript, the college will send a confirmation email to the student's ConnectMail (college email) account to verify the receipt of transcripts. The entire transcript will be evaluated by a transcript evaluation specialist to award credit for the specific Durham Tech course most closely related to the course transferred using the following criteria:

  • All transfer course credit must be equivalent to course offerings at Durham Tech;
  • The grades for courses transferred must be a "C" or better;
  • Courses transferred must be 100 level or above;
  • Comparable developmental education courses offered by North Carolina community colleges below the 100 level are transferable within the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS); and
  • The grades for transferred NCCCS developmental courses must be a "B" or better (a "C" or better is accepted for MAT 070 and MAT 080 courses only).

Transcripts can take up to two weeks (ten business days) to be evaluated during peak registration times. Transfer credit is recorded as a grade of “TR” on the student's transcript. When transfer credit is in question, the student may be asked for supporting documentation such as an official course description or course syllabus. In certain instances, students may be granted non-course equivalencies, waivers, and backfills for transfer work that does not meet a course-by-course, credit-by-credit equivalency. In this instance, it is recorded under the Test Summary tab on the Self-Service or WebAdvisor student account.

Once the transcript has been evaluated, the college will send another email to confirm the completion of the evaluation. At that time, the student will be able to view any transfer credit on the academic transcript, and non-course equivalencies, waivers, and backfills on the student's Self-Service or WebAdvisor account. Transfer credit, non-course equivalencies, waivers or backfills are not used to calculate cumulative, program, graduation, or academic progress grade point averages. However, transfer credit is used to calculate financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP). See the financial aid SAP policy.

International transcripts must be evaluated before transfer credit can be considered. Please see the Translation and Evaluation Services section for a complete list of acceptable organizations.

Students with questions regarding transfer credit may contact Student Information and Records at 919-536-7214 or visit the office located in the Phail Wynn, Jr. Student Services Building, room 10-201 on our Main Campus. Visitors must obtain a temporary visitor’s permit at the Campus Police and Public Safety office located in Building 8. The visitor permit should be clearly displayed inside the left front windshield of the vehicle. For additional information, please review the information located in the parking section.

Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES) Transfer Credit

Students who submit official documentation of Advanced Placement (AP), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES) scores will be awarded credit for approved courses with the appropriate threshold score at Durham Tech. Official documentation includes any official, sealed copies of scores from the College Board (AP and CLEP scores), International Baccalaureate (IB scores), or from the Department of Defense (DANTES scores); official, sealed transcripts from a high school with specific tests and scores listed; or other post-secondary college official, sealed transcripts that include specific tests and scores listed. Like other college transfer credit, AP, CLEP, IB, and DANTES transfer credits do not have a time limit and may be awarded for approved courses without regard to the time when the test was taken.

Transfer credit awarded for approved courses as a result of AP scores may not exceed 75 percent of the total credits required to complete the program of study. Transfer credit awarded for approved courses as a result of CLEP, IB, and/or DANTES scores may not exceed three courses of the total number of courses required to complete the program of study. Transfer credit awarded for CLEP, IB, and DANTES scores excludes courses that require lab components (i.e. science, language, math, and English composition). Transfer credit awarded for IB scores may only include higher level exams, not standard level exams.

Students who cannot provide official, sealed documentation of AP, CLEP, IB, or DANTES scores will not be awarded credit. Durham Tech does not award AP, CLEP, IB, or DANTES transfer credit for classes solely on the basis of an evaluation of credit by another college or institution. Official, sealed documentation must include the specific test name and score to be considered for transfer credit evaluation. Questions regarding the awarding of AP, CLEP, IB, or DANTES transfer credit should be directed to the Student Information and Records office.

Credit for Certifications

Students may be granted credit for courses if they have attained an industry certification exam with comparable learning outcomes. Approved course credit for the completion of industry certifications are referenced below.

In order to receive consideration for credit based on certification completion, students must present documentation in the form of a letter, transcript, or certificate to the Student Information and Records office showing that they passed and were awarded the certification. Alternatively, students may present the aforementioned documentation to a Program Director, who will then provide official copies to the Student Information and Records office. Once received course credits based on credentials will be posted to the official academic transcript. Read the Academic Credit for Professional Credentials procedure.

Credit by Exam

The special grade of Credit by Exam (CE) is awarded when a student has applied for and successfully completed the requirements for credit by examination. Qualified curriculum students with relevant prior training or experience may earn academic credit for certain courses by examination. A student interested in receiving such credit should contact the appropriate program director for information on the procedures for application. To receive credit by examination, the student must be enrolled in a curriculum program and be registered for the course for which application is made. The application must be approved within the first 7 calendar days of the semester, and the examination must be completed within the first 14 calendar days of the semester.

To receive credit by examination, the student must score at least 85 percent on the examination. In certain courses, the required passing score may be higher. The examination may be taken only once, and a student failing the examination must complete the course for credit. No more than 10 percent of the total credit hours required by the student’s plan of study may be earned by examination unless the chief instructional officer gives special approval to exceed this limit.

A student should not attempt the credit by exam if they are a:

  • A student graduating with a CE as part of the 60 University Transfer program hours because it is not transferrable by the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA).
  • Veteran enrolled in a course in which he/she are not in attendance. Those hours are not eligible for veteran benefits, thereby reducing or eliminating benefits.
  • Career and College Promise (CCP) student since credit by exam is not allowed for high school students.

Read more about credit by exam and CE designation in the grading section.

Credit by exam dates and procedures for CIS 110, CIS 115, and WEB 110 are available in Information Technologies section.


Electronic ordering of transcripts is available with use of a credit card. Once the account is created, request a transcript online and track the status of your order. The Electronic Transcript is Durham Tech’s preferred method. Order an official, certified PDF of your transcript. Orders are generally processed within a few business days (allow additional processing time for high volume periods).

Students may also request a transcript in person by visiting the Student Information and Records office located in the Phail Wynn, Jr. Student Services Center, room 10-201, which issues Durham Tech transcripts. Students may visit the Student Information and Records office to fill out a request for an official transcript. A fee is charged for each official copy of a student’s transcript. There is no charge for a student copy which is printable through Self-Service or WebAdvisor. Telephone and faxed requests are not accepted. Paper transcripts are processed in two-three business days and sent via U.S. Postal service.

Adult High School graduates may request official transcripts at no charge. All students must provide photo identification to pick up a transcript. Student transcripts cannot be picked up by another person unless the student has provided written permission.

Transcripts from other schools and other documents or forms that Durham Tech has on file are not released, copied, or returned to the student.

Students are not eligible to receive a transcript if they have any outstanding debts to the college or if they have failed to make any required payment.

Student Records

The college follows the guidelines for retention and disposal of records as published by the North Carolina Community College System. Back-up copies of the permanent records are stored on computer tape. These records are available in the Student Information and Records office to requesters with appropriate identification.

The permanent record includes all information on the student's transcript: name, address, social security number, sex, date of birth, major, dates enrolled, grades, credit hours earned, grade point average, and graduation information.

Student records are maintained and disseminated in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). View the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Policy and Procedure.