High School Equivalency Testing
The High School Equivalency test is based on high school curriculum standards and certifies mastery in four parts: literacy, social studies, science, and math. The High School Equivalency diploma is the certified equivalent of a traditional high school diploma. Students may take courses to prepare for the tests. Courses are offered in traditional classroom and lab settings, as well as online. In some settings, students are able to work at their own pace. Students must pay a fee before taking the tests.
Free GED® and HiSET® Testing for Durham and Orange County Residents
The $80 GED testing fee for is waived as a result of ConnectFunds, a program that offers financial assistance to Durham and Orange county residents seeking additional education, job training, or retraining. The funds are accrued for Durham County through a quarter-cent Sales and Use Tax that voters approved in November 2011. Orange County approved a general appropriation to the college.
Follow these steps:
- Visit the GED website to create your account or register for the GED test or visit the HiSET website to sign up or register for the High School Equivalency test.
- GED examinees: Take the online GED practice test and obtain a minimum score of 134. The cost for the GED Practice Test is $24 ($6 per test subject) and is not included in the free GED waiver. Please print and bring your practice test score to the Durham Tech Testing Center, Wynn Center (Building 10), room 10-300.
HiSET examinees: Students must receive a score that is the equivalent of “prepared” or well prepared” on the 2016 or 2017 HiSET free practice test or Essential Education Practice Test. Please print and bring your practice test score to the Durham Tech Testing Center, Wynn Center (Building 10), room 10-300.
- After completing the first two steps, report to the Durham Tech Testing Center to receive the free test voucher. You can use the voucher to schedule your official GED or HiSET test. All candidates must present a valid photo ID showing a Durham or Orange county address. Minors (ages 16-17) must bring a signed and notarized Parental Consent form to the Testing Center to be eligible.
Candidates requiring GED special testing accommodations should contact Pearson VUE at 800-466-0450 for scheduling. Candidates needing HiSET special testing accommodations should contact HiSET at 1-855-802-2748 for scheduling.
The Durham Tech Testing Center hours for High School Equivalency testing are as follows:
- Monday–Thursday: 9:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. and Fridays: 9:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- Late day testing is available until 6:30 p.m. on select days.
For additional information, contact the Durham Tech examiner at 919-536-7200, ext. 3206.
Return to Admission, Placement, and Enrollment information.