North Carolina high school grads can take two years of classes at Durham Tech tuition-free
Students who graduate from a North Carolina high school this year or who graduated from a North Carolina high school in 2021 can attend Durham Tech this fall tuition free.
Durham Tech will cover the full cost of tuition for 2021 and 2022 NC high school graduates classified as North Carolina residents by the Residency Determination Service (RDS) who enroll for the Fall 2022 semester. Eligibility extends to high school equivalency earners, those who complete an Adult High School diploma and those who are home-schooled.
The Durham Tech tuition-free initiative is a scholarship supplement to the North Carolina Longleaf Commitment Grant, which covers tuition based on family income. The College will provide 2022 graduates a last-dollar scholarship for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 school years to bridge the gap and fully pay for tuition not covered by federal Pell grants or the Longleaf Commitment, Durham Tech Promise, and other funds. Students may be responsible for course-related materials if not covered by financial aid.
- Graduate from a North Carolina high school or earn a high school equivalency in 2021 or 2022.
- Be admitted to a Durham Tech credit program;
- Be a first-time college student. Students who participated in Career and College Promise and Early/Middle College High School are eligilble;
- Complete the 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (Durham Tech’s school code is 005448.);
- Be a resident of North Carolina as determined by the Residency Determination Service (RDS);
- Enroll in a curriculum program during the Fall 2022 semester;
- Enroll in at least six credit hours;
- Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from $0 - $15,000. (“EFC” is based upon student’s FAFSA determination)
- Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirement.
Free Summer Grant Program
A new Summer Accelerator grant program allows eligible Durham Tech students to continue their studies over Summer 2022 and Summer 2023 for free. The grant provides up to $5,000 to cover tuition, fees, books, and other expenses based on the number of summer courses a student is taking.
To be eligible, students must meet the following requirements:
- A North Carolina resident
- Enrolled in an academic program leading to a postsecondary degree or credential
- Working towards their first postsecondary degree or credential
Eligible students for these grants will receive notification from the Durham Tech Financial Aid Office.