Science Department Frequently Asked Questions

How do online and hybrid science classes work?
In a hybrid course the lecture portion is online and the laboratory portion is on campus (often following the same lab schedule as the on-campus sections). In an online course, both lecture and lab are done online.

How do I know which type of section I’m registered for (on-campus, online, or hybrid)?
You can tell by the section number. After searching for a course on WebAdvisor, you should see a detailed table above your search results with information on how the section numbers corresponds to its delivery mode and – for hybrid courses – the location of the on-campus part of the course.

Is a McGraw-Hill Connect code required for all classes?
Yes, if it’s listed as a required item on WebAdvisor (under “Textbook Information”)

Does a McGraw-Hill Connect code come with the course textbook?
All McGraw Hill Connect codes come with a digital copy of the text book (eBook). You may purchase a "bundled" package at the bookstore where the Connect code is sold with a hard copy of the book. You also have the option of adding a 3-hole punched copy of the book if you purchase through the McGraw Hill website. Note: purchasing Connect codes from alternative sites, e.g. Amazon, will not guarantee you the associated eBook.

Will my access code for McGraw-Hill’s Connect work for another class?
It depends. Connect codes are tied to specific textbooks, so your code for your first-semester class (BIO 111, BIO 168, CHM 151) should work for the second semester course (BIO 112, BIO 169, CHM 152) provided they’re using the same textbook for both semesters. However, your code isn’t valid for a completely different course. For example, the BIO 111 code won’t work for BIO 168 or CHM 151.

Can I take the second course in a sequence (BIO 112, CHM 152, etc) if I earned a D in the first (BIO 111, CHM 151, etc)?
No. The minimum requirement is a C or better in the prerequisite course.

Can I take both parts of a sequence during the same semester?
No. The material taught during the first-semester course is paramount to your understanding of the material in the second. That being said, if you successfully completed the first-semester course previously and wish to take it concurrently with the second (e.g., as a refresher), that may be allowed at the instructor’s discretion.

Can I take the lab or lecture only for a science course?

No. At Durham Tech, lab and lecture are part of a single, combined course. While a few courses are listed as separate components in web advisor (e.g., CHM 130 & 130A), it’s departmental policy to treat them the same as our other science offerings.

What does an “A” or “B” after the section number of a BIO 168 or 169 course mean?
Those courses are eight-week “mini-mester” courses. They are intended for students who have a strong college science background, and meet—and move—at twice the pace of a regular semester course.

Anatomy and Physiology

Does Durham Tech teach any online or hybrid anatomy and physiology courses?
Durham Tech only offers hybrid courses. They are designated with section numbers starting with 450.

How do I know if I am ready to take anatomy and physiology?
You need to make sure that you have taken the requisites, which are listed in the course section of the website. You may also want to take this brief test to assess the strength of your academic prerequisites.


Is BIO 112 ever offered in the summer?
Not usually.  It is offered in the Fall and the Spring on both Main Campus and OCC.

Does Durham Tech offer a nutrition course?
Yes. We offer BIO 155 (Nutrition) as an online course.

When is Genetics offered?
BIO 250, Genetics, is currently offered in Spring semesters only.

What is BIO 280?
BIO 280 Biotechnology is a course that is designed to offer students an opportunity to improve and enhance their lab skills and do a lab-based project in the course. The project can change with each section. BIO 280 is transferable for AA and AS students.


I need to take a general chemistry course. Should I take CHM 130 or CHM 151?
In most cases, it’s usually CHM 151 (General Chemistry I), but you should double-check with an advisor in the program or school you’re applying to, just to be sure.

I need to take a biochemistry course. Would CHM 130 fulfill this requirement?
Usually not, since only about 10 percent of the course covers biochemistry. You most likely need to take a dedicated course in biochemistry, which isn’t normally offered at Durham Tech, but you should double-check with an advisor in the program or school you’re applying to.

I’m taking CHM 151 online (section 190). How will the online labs work?
Labs are a combination of virtual labs done through Late Nite Labs and hands-on “kitchen” labs done at home. Some of the kitchen labs require a home lab kit that can be purchased at the bookstore.

I’m taking CHM 151 online. Can I purchase the home lab kit somewhere else?
No. Those kits are custom made for this class by Carolina Biological, and they do not sell directly to students.

Is CHM 152 offered entirely online?
No. It’s only offered as a hybrid course to ensure that students needing the general chemistry sequence get at least one semester in an actual lab setting.


Do I need my own rocks for the online section of GEL 111?

Does GIS 111 transfer?

Does GIS 111 count as science credit?
No. Only as an elective.

Can I use the GIS software on Windows 10?
Yes. It currently supports Windows 8 and 10.

Can I use the GIS software on a Mac?

Can I use the GIS software on my netbook or tablet?
No. The GIS software is too powerful to run successfully on these devices.