Facility Services Department General Information and Guidelines for Procedures

Emergency Requests

The following types of events would be considered emergencies and should be directly called in to ext. 6213 or ext. 6206 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., or ext. 5555 after 5 p.m.: safety items, issues related to disability (ADA), running water, sewer back-up, and computer lab temperature above 80 degrees. All other events will normally be handled as routine maintenance and service.

Equipment/Furniture Moves

Approved Work Order Request forms are submitted to the Facility Services Department listing the equipment/furniture to be moved to include description, equipment inventory number(s), and/or make and model number(s) if applicable. Also indicate if phone(s) and/or computer(s) are to be included in the move. Scheduling and manpower allocation requires a five workday advance notice for moves and office setups. A signature is requested when items are picked up and also upon delivery to new location.

Equipment Surplus/Sale

To surplus equipment, it is necessary to complete both the Work Order Request form and the Request to Surplus/Sale Equipment form. Send the completed form to the Facility Services surplus equipment coordinator at 825 Bacon Street. The equipment will be scheduled for pickup and removed by Facility Services. Signatures are requested whenever equipment is moved. If new equipment is replacing current equipment, documentation relative to disposition of equipment can be noted on a Work Order Request form and forwarded to the surplus equipment coordinator.

Disposition of items through surplus is requested by the surplus equipment coordinator; acknowledged by the Facility Services surplus equipment coordinator and the Business Office auxiliary services director; and approved by the director of Facility Services and the chief financial officer. Items are removed from inventory once an item is received by State Surplus Property and/or sold through approved surplus contractors.

Paper and Lab Products

Requests for printer, copy paper, and lab products are submitted on the Work Order Request form and must include the account code, quantity, type of product, and delivery date requested.

Room and Special Set-ups

The Work Order Request form should detail the requirements. Please note: Scheduling and manpower allocation requires five workdays advance notice for moves, special events, and set-ups.

Routine Maintenance and Service

The Facility Services Department provides maintenance, housekeeping, landscaping, shipping/receiving, and mail services for the college facilities in both Durham and Orange counties. The college facilities include both buildings and grounds that are maintained through local county funding and operated following local building and fire codes.

Requests for maintenance or service are compiled in a computerized maintenance management system. This system generates work orders for our technicians or outside contractors describing the necessary activity and can record the results once the task is completed.  A Work Order Request form is shown in the forms section which is emailed to Facility Services by the Building Captains. Please follow the instructions noted on the Work Order Request form.

PLEASE NOTE:  Requests for door and cabinet keys should be sent directly to Campus Police and Public Safety for their action.

Facility Services Department Staff

See the Departmental Staff Directory on the website.

Work Order Form

The Work Order Request form may be filled out by any employee but must be submitted through building captains who will email the completed and approved form directly to Facility Services at facilityservices@durhamtech.edu. Please follow the instructions below:

  • Save the Work Order Request form to your desktop and begin filling out the information.

  • The initiator will fill out the request date, date of event, initiator’s name, contact information, and the location and description of the job. If an attachment is necessary to further explain the job (i.e., a room layout/arrangement), the initiator should attach a document with the specific details or arrangement desired and send the attachment along with the original Work Order Request form. If possible, also indicate the time(s) the classroom or office will be available to accomplish the requested work.

  • Attach the completed Work Order Request form to an email and send the email and any attachment to the designated building captain for your building.

  • The building captain will review/approve and send the email with the attached approved Work Order Request form and any other attachments to facilityservices@durhamtech.edu.

  • Facility Services will respond (via replied email) by indicating that the Work Order Request has been received. Processing of the Work Order Request will then continue in accordance with Facility Services procedures.

Durham Technical Community College
1637 Lawson Street
Durham, NC 27703

Copyright ©Durham Technical Community College. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy l Conditions of Use