Social Media Guidelines
Durham Tech maintains an official presence on the following social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube. The purpose is to provide prospective and current students with program information, important updates, Student Life event coverage, student stories, and alumni spotlights -- all to demonstrate the impact of Durham Tech. Feedback and comments from prospective students, current students, alumni, faculty, staff, and members of the community are welcomed.
In an effort to maintain a positive environment, the College reserves the right to remove or block posts, users, comments or any content deemed inappropriate from official college-sponsored pages.
Social Media Guidelines for Employees
- Programs or Departments: If a Durham Tech program or department wants to create a social media account, they must first contact the Content and Social Media Coordinator to submit a request. Be prepared to share content ideas, frequency of posts, platforms requested, and names of employees that will operate the account. The Marketing and Communications team will consider the request and determine whether or not the account is approved. If approved, the Marketing and Communications department will create the account and share login information with the program or department contact. The account must be maintained and updated regularly; i.e., at least 2 posts per week. If an account goes dormant, the Marketing and Communications department reserves the right to delete the account. If an employee that has access to the account leaves the College, their name must be removed as an administrator and/or login information changed.
- Student Clubs: If a Durham Tech club or organization wants to create a social media account, they must first contact the Content and Social Media Coordinator to make the Marketing and Communications department aware. The faculty advisor for the club must have the login information for the account and monitor its activity. Clubs and organizations are considered to be extensions of Durham Tech, and are held to the same standard as the official College accounts. If a student graduates or leaves the College, their name must be removed as an administrator and/or login information changed.
- Content: All content on must adhere to Durham Tech’s Appropriate Use of Computing Resources Policy. Administrators must remove any content that violates the social platform's terms of service or college policies, including but not limited to harassing, threatening, or profane language aimed at creating a hostile or intimidating environment.
Social Media Violations
Online behavior that violates the college’s Student Code of Conduct or the Appropriate Use of Computing Resources Policy, which is brought to the attention of the Vice President of Student Learning and Instructional Services, will be treated as any other violation of the Student Code of Conduct.
The following types of content are prohibited:
- Derogatory language or demeaning statements about or threats to any third party;
- Lewd, indecent, or incriminating images or information depicting hazing, sexual harassment, vandalism, stalking, underage drinking, illegal drug use, or any other inappropriate behavior or inappropriate language;
- Content that violates local, state or federal law;
- Online gambling;
- Content that harasses any third party or personal attacks of any kind;
- Selling goods or services for personal financial profit;
- Comments or posts that are unrelated to Durham Tech;
- Spam (Comments that are excessively posted, repetitive, and do not correspond to the original content of the post, but instead point users to a third-party service, vendor, or product.)
- Infringement on copyrights or trademarks; and/or
- Offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, religious, or other group of people.
If you have any questions or concerns about a post or comment, please contact the Nathan Hardin, Director of Marketing and Communications.
Terms of Service
Durham Tech expects users to comply with the following social website’s terms of service: