Students taking online classes have a greater responsibility for their own success than students in traditional classroom settings. A successful online learner is one who…
- Is self-motivated to log in regularly, find details about assignments, and seek out help when needed.
- Is self-disciplined and able to work on a flexible schedule without getting behind.
- Can dedicate enough time to each course. Online classes require at least as much time as traditional classes, and often more. A typical 3-credit online course can easily require 9-12 hours per week.
- Is good at reading and writing. Online classes require more reading and writing than traditional, on-campus classes.
- Has good computer skills. You must be comfortable sending and receiving e-mail, navigating web pages, and using computer software, such as word processors.
- Has convenient, dependable access to a computer that meets the technical requirements listed below.
What computer hardware and software do I need to take an online course?
- A computer (PC or Mac) with high-speed Internet access
- A ConnectMail email account (provided by Durham Tech)
- A reasonably current web browser (Firefox or Chrome are recommended).
In addition to the above, the following online courses require special software or equipment.
Note: Durham Tech provides Office 365 to students free-of-charge for students who are currently taking curriculum (credit) classes. Learn more about how to install it.
|To take this class online…||You must have access to this exact software or equipment…|
|ACC 150||A computer with Windows 10 or 8.1 (natively installed) that meets the system requirements for QuickBooks Desktop 2021.|
|CIS 110||Microsoft 365/Office 2021 including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel|
|COM||Microsoft Word 2019 (or higher) or Office 365; and a Webcam|
|CTR 115-420||High-speed Internet access (minimum 1 Mbps); and a Webcam|
|CTR 120-420||High-speed Internet access (minimum 1 Mbps); and a Webcam|
|CTR 130-420||High-speed Internet access (minimum 1 Mbps); and a Webcam|
|CTR 220-420||High-speed Internet access (minimum 1 Mbps); and a Webcam|
|CTS 130||Microsoft 365/Office 2021 including Excel|
|ENG||Microsoft Word 2019 (or higher) or Office 365|
|FRE 111||A working headset with a microphone attached.|
|GER 111||A working headset with a microphone attached.|
|OST 136||Microsoft Word 2019 (or higher) or Office 365|
|OST 138||Microsoft Office 2019 (or higher) Professional or Office 365
including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access*
|SPA 111||A working headset with a microphone attached.|
|SPA 112||A working headset with a microphone attached.|
|SPA 212||A working headset with a microphone attached.|
|SPA 231||A working headset with a microphone attached.|
*Microsoft Access is a Windows-only application and is not available for Mac OS.