Journey Student Leadership Program
Journey: Durham Tech Student Leadership Program is designed for students seeking to build their leadership skills through active participation in dynamic workshops led by motivational speakers. Eligible students will be selected through a competitive process by the Student Leadership Journey Committee.
Journey students will explore the following session topics:
- Any student enrolled in a curriculum program at Durham Tech with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher is eligible to apply.
- Student must have successfully completed the ACA 122 course with a grade of C or higher or transferred in 12 or more credit hours from another institution.
- Student must be taking a minimum of six credit hours during spring semester during all phases of the program. This includes the application process.
Journey Membership Requirements
- Participants are required to attend all sessions. Excused absences for extraordinary circumstances must have prior written approval by the Journey program director. The request must be made in writing via a typed letter or email. Sessions will be held one Friday per month from 9 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Participants must take the Myers-Briggs personality type indicator prior to the first session and submit results to Gilbert Umberger. More information will be sent via email upon acceptance into the Journey program.
- Participants will participate in a group service project at Durham Meals on Wheels.
Failure to complete any of the aforementioned requirements are grounds for dismissal from the Journey program.
Applicants must complete both steps.
- Application – Complete the Journey application in its entirety. Submit a typed electronic or hard copy to Gilbert Umberger by 3 p.m, Wynn (Building 10), room 10-209. The fall 2018 date will be posted here shortly.
- Reference Letter – Each applicant must ask one Durham Tech faculty member to submit a confidential reference letter addressing the applicant’s leadership potential. This letter is to be submitted electronically by the faculty member directly to Gilbert Umberger by 3 p.m. The fall 2018 date will be posted here shortly.