Jean D. Brown
Duke St North, room 118
919-536-7200, ext. 4311
EKG Technician and Monitoring (Non-credit)
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be eligible to sit for the National Healthcare Association examination to become a certified EKG technician.
Prerequisites and Requirements
(These items are not covered in the course fee)
- Proof of High School Diploma or high school equivalency
- Proof of the following immunizations are due at the time of registration: (two doses or positive titer MMR, Varicella; T/dap; Hep B series; Influenza/Flu (exempt for summer term only); and TB (annual TB test).
- Teal scrubs (tops and bottoms) and puncture resistant, closed toe shoes or sneaker (all white or all black)
- Criminal background check and drug screening which will be administered by Castle Branch. Do not do this on your own. Information will be provided at orientation once a student registers for a class.
- CPR certification - only the American Heart Association Basic Life Support is accepted.
- Proof of medical health insurance
Registration: View the Allied Health Checklist and attend an information session to learn how to submit prerequisites and how to register.
This course qualifies for financial assistance.
Upcoming Program Events
ICV-3111A EKG Technician and Monitoring
This course prepares students to become a certified EKG (ECG) Technician. The course will cover medical terminology, anatomy and physiology of the heart, principles of EKG, dysrhythmia recognition of sinus, junctional/atrial rhythms, heart blocks and bundle branches and ventricular ectopy rhythms. Upon successful completion of this course the student will be eligible to sit for the National Healthcare Association examination to become a certified EKG technician. In order to receive a certificate of completion and be eligible to sit for the NHA Certification Exam students must pass this course with an average of 80% or better (earning a grade of "S" Satisfactory). Students must also have 10 successful EKG's with no artifacts, which is a NHA requirement. Prerequisites: 1) Must be at least 18 years old, AND 2) High School Diploma or Equivalent, AND 3) Proof of the following immunizations are due at the time of registration: two doses or positive titer MMR, Varicella, T/dap, Hep B series, Influenza/Flu (exempt for summer only), TB (annual TB test), and COVID-19 vaccinations and booster, AND 4) medical health insurance. Students must submit proof of prerequisites prior to registration. Please email email@example.com for questions regarding the program or registration process.