Child Care Assistance

Kate’s Korner, which provides childcare services for students, staff and faculty, has closed because government funding that has subsidized tuition for families has ended. In addition, Kate’s Korner will not be offering summer camps this year. This is neither Durham Tech’s nor Kate’s Korner’s decision.  

Kate’s Korner is offering a child-care option at the American Tobacco Campus, but it is not tuition-free. Anyone who is eligible can apply for Child Care Vouchers, and currently there is not a waiting list. Kate’s has a waiting list for infants to 2-year-olds and there is no longer after-school care. 

We are working closely with Kate’s Korner’s owner to find a long-term solution to offer permanent, full-time childcare on campus. We recognize the strain this has put on families and are working diligently to help resolve it. 

Other Assistance

Child Care Grant

Durham Tech offers a limited number of Child Care Grants (formerly called the Single Parent Program) to assist student parents in earning their degree, diploma, or certificate by subsidizing some of their child care expenses. Students awarded the Child Care Grant choose their child care provider and the providers are paid directly each month.

Child Care Resources

Durham Tech is collaborating with Child Care Services Association (CCSA), a local nonprofit organization, in order to support student parents in their child care search. For support finding child care for young or school-aged children, you can:

You and your family may qualify for child care subsidies, vouchers, or free child care programs. Some options in our community include:

  • Child Care Subsidy/Voucher through County Departments of Social Services: You may be eligible to receive child care assistance through your local county’s child care vouchers. Learn more about how to qualify and identify your county contact.
  • Head Start and Early Head Start: Eligible families receive free child care and a variety of services to meet the medical, dental, nutritional, and mental health needs of their children. Families can choose between child care offered in a day care setting or home-based options offering weekly visits from a provider to support you and your child’s development. Call Child Care Referral Central at 855-EARLY-ED (855-327-5933) with questions about how to apply in your county.
  • NC Pre-K: NC Pre-K provides free or sliding scale Pre-K programs in every county in NC. Pre-K is for children who will be 4 by August 31 of that school year. For more information about NC Pre-K in Alamance, Caswell, Durham, Franklin, Granville, Orange, Person, Vance, or Wake County, call Child Care Referral Central at 855-EARLY-ED (855-327-5933)
  • Child Care Services Association Scholarship Funds: CCSA administers a child care scholarship program for families in Durham and Orange Counties. For more information and to apply, call Child Care Referral Central at 855-EARLY-ED (855-327-5933)
  • Childcare Assistance for Military Families

Also see The Child Care Services Association (CCSA) list of resources about how to pay for child care.