Policy Name:
Readmission and Change of Program

Registration Committee (Taskforce)

Admissions, Registration, and Records

Effective Date:
December 8, 2017 (Revision)

Next Review Date:




Policy Statement

1.1 Admissions 


Readmission Requirements 

Eligibility for readmission to Durham Technical Community College (Durham Tech) depends on individual circumstances and the requirements of the specific curriculum program. Readmission in limited-enrollment programs is offered on a space-available basis. Certain programs may also require students to complete individual readmission plans. Readmitted students must complete the admission requirements and the program’s graduation requirements in effect at the time of readmission. 

Students who previously applied to or attended Durham Tech and have not maintained continuous enrollment must do the following:

  1. Re-apply to the College using the CFNC enrollment application. The Student Information and Records office will require time to process the application so complete and submit it as early as possible, preferably before the priority enrollment due date (see Registration and Enrollment Important Dates).
  2. Submit official transcripts from all institutions of higher education they have attended since your last semester at Durham Tech.

Change of Program 

Students who wish to initiate the change of program process must complete the following steps:

  1. Consult with their faculty or program advisor or visit the Admissions and Advising Services Center in the Phail Wynn, Jr. Student Services Center (Building 10, room 10-200, Main Campus) or at the Orange County Campus to receive assistance. This must be done prior to completing and submitting the Change of Academic Program form. 

    Information regarding the advisory meeting will be documented in Self-Service. Students expecting to receive financial aid to cover the costs associated with the new program are encouraged to consult with a financial aid advisor to ensure that aid will be available prior to submitting the change of program form.
  2. Complete and submit the Change of Academic Program form.
    Once the form is processed by Student Information and Records, the student will receive notification of the change, but program changes are not effective until the next academic term (e.g., If students consult with an advisor and submit a change of program form on or after the first day of class, the program change will be effective the following term.).

Students may contact the Student Information and Records office (Wynn Center (Building 10), room 10-201, Main Campus); 919-536-7200, ext. 1801) for assistance.


Continuous Enrollment – Students are considered continuously enrolled at the college if they register for and attend courses (including prerequisites) creditable toward a degree, diploma, or certificate. The student must attend credit coursework in a following semester after the initial enrollment semester (attendance is required in the following fall or spring semester or following spring or fall semester).