wind turbines in a field of flowers


Lea Bingham
Assistant Dean, University Transfer
Phillips (Building 3), room 3-126
919-536-7223, ext. 8004

Environmental Science

University Transfer Options

Students who wish to pursue a bachelor's degree in Environmental Science should complete the Associate in Arts (AA) degree which will transfer to all UNC System schools, most North Carolina independent colleges and universities, and most out of state institutions.

The Associate in Science (AS)

The Associate in Arts (AA) is intended for students who ultimately wish to complete a baccalaureate science degree at a four-year college or university. The AA curriculum courses focus on courses such as business, English, fine arts, foreign languages, history, philosophy, psychology, or sociology.

Course Selection Guide

This course selection guide shown below has been developed by referencing the Baccalaureate Degree plans or the student plans for the Bachelor of Science degrees at the universities listed below. There are many degrees closely related to environmental science. Students are encouraged to explore other related degree options at these and other universities. 

  • NC Central University (NCCU): BS in Environmental, Earth, and Geographic Sciences
  • UNC-Chapel Hill (UNC-CH): BS in Environmental Sciences (UNC also offers a BA)
  • UNC Wilmington (UNCW): BS in Environmental Sciences (UNCW also offers a BA)
  • NC State University (NCSU): BS in Environmental Sciences

Students should print out and save the baccalaureate degree plan (BDP) for their major and intended transfer university.

Printable Environmental Science Course Selection Guide (pdf)

General Education – 45 SHC (“Semester Hours of Credit”)
Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) Courses (31-32 SHC)

UGETC courses are courses which are guaranteed to fulfill a general education component at every public university in North Carolina and the private colleges that are signatories to the 2015 Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.

English Composition (6 SHC)
ENG 111 Writing & InquiryENG 111ENG 111ENG 111ENG 111
ENG 112 Writing/Research in the DisciplinesENG 112ENG 112ENG 112ENG 112
Humanities/Fine Arts (H/FA)(9 SHC)

Select three courses from at least two disciplines

One course selected from ART 111, 114, 115; COM 231; DRA 111, MUS 110, 112COM 231AnyCOM 120 or 231COM 231
One course selected from PHI 215 or PHI 240 AnyAnyAnyAny
One course selected from ENG 231, 232, 241, 242 AnyAnyAnyENG 231
Social and Behavioral Sciences (S/BS) (9 SHC)  

Select three courses from at least two disciplines

At UNC, students must complete both ECO 251 and 252 to receive transfer credit for ECON 101.
At UNCW, ECO 251 required for the Environmental Conservation Concentration only.

One course selected from HIS 111, HIS 112, HIS 131, or HIS 132HIS 112AnyAnyAny
ECO 251, 252, POL 120; PSY 150, or SOC 210AnyECO 251ECO 251ECO 251
One additional course from above AnyECO 252AnyAny
Mathematics (3-4 SHC)
One Math course selected from MAT 143, 152, 171MAT 171MAT 171MAT 171MAT 171
Natural Science (4 SHC)
One Science course selected from AST 151/A, BIO 110,  BIO 111, CHM 151, GEL 111, PHY 110/A.CHM 151CHM 151CHM 151CHM 151
Additional General Education Transfer Hours (13-14 SHC)
Foreign Language (3 SHC)

UNCW requires 3 semesters of a language begun in high school or 2 semesters of a new language.

Durham Tech Gen Ed RequirementNCCUUNC-CHUNCWNCSU
Foreign Language: Choose from American Sign Language, Arabic, French, German, or Spanish. FL 112 Must be taken with accompanying lab. Foreign Language must be at 112 level or higher for Durham Tech requirements.FL 112FL 211FL 112 or 211FL 112 required for Durham Tech
Additional Mathematics Course(3-4 SHC)
Durham Tech Gen Ed RequirementNCCUUNC-CHUNCWNCSU
Choose from MAT 143, MAT 152, MAT 171, MAT 172, or MAT 263. Note: There are prerequisites for these courses that must be met.AnyMAT 172MAT 152MAT 172
Additional Natural Science Course (4 SHC)
Durham Tech Gen Ed RequirementNCCUUNC-CHUNCWNCSU
Choose from AST 151/151A, AST 152/152A, BIO 111, 112, BIO 140/140A, CHM 151, CHM 152, GEL 111, GEL 230, PHY 110/110A.BIO 111CHM 152BIO 111BIO 111
One Additional Course (3-4 SHC)

UNCW does not require GEL 111, but it  is the prerequisite to GEL 230, which is required.

Durham Tech Gen Ed RequirementNCCUUNC-CHUNCWNCSU
One additional course GEL 111MAT 271GEL 111BIO 112
Other Required Hours (15 SHC)

Students should consult their advisor. The listings vary based on the requirements of the selected university and the student's intended major.

College Transfer Success Course (1 SHC)
Durham Tech RequirementNCCUUNC-CHUNCWNCSU
ACA 122 (This course should be taken in the student’s first semester.)ACA 122ACA 122ACA 122ACA 122
Foreign Language (0-8 SHC)
Durham Tech RequirementNCCUUNC-CHUNCWNCSU
FL 111/181, 112/182 if needed to meet prerequisitesAs NeededAs NeededAs NeededAs Needed
Additional Major Course(s)
Durham Tech RequirementNCCUUNC-CHUNCWNCSU
Additional college level course(s) to complete the 15 SHC requirement.BIO 140/A
GEO 111
HEA 110
PED 11
CSC 151 or CSC 134
MAT 152
MAT 272
GEL 230 
PED 110
MAT 271
PHY 151
PHY 152

Guaranteed Admissions Pathways

Durham Tech has partnered with several universities to develop guaranteed admissions pathways for a seamless transition into their baccalaureate programs for eligible students who complete a Durham Tech university transfer degree (AA, AS, AFA, and AE). Students must apply for acceptance into these programs.

View more information about Guaranteed Admissions Pathways and the list of universities. 

Suggested Paths

Short Term

(12 months or less)

Long Term

(More than 12 months)