Need a computer?
Durham Tech offers a range of options to ensure students have access to a computer and internet.
Students may request to purchase newly refurbished computers through partner nonprofit vendors for prices between $30-$250.
There are two options for purchasing low-cost computers:
- Using financial aid: Students who receive financial aid will be able to purchase these computers using their financial aid refund.
- Paying by credit or debit card: Students who choose this option will be connected to the vendor to complete their purchase.
Loaner Laptop Program
Students may request to borrow a loaner laptop through the Durham Tech Library at no cost. Loaner laptops are available to students to check out for the entirety of the semester, and are renewable if the student is continuously enrolled in the subsequent semester.
- Computer supply is limited. Please note that submitting a request does not guarantee that the student will receive a computer.
- Students must be enrolled in courses (credit or non-credit) during the semester requested in order to be eligible.
- Only one computer per enrolled student.
- Students who have purchased a computer through the Durham Tech Bookstore in the last year will not be eligible to purchase.
- Save $30/ month on your internet bill: The FCC's Affordable Connectivity Program provides a discount of $30 per month on internet bills for qualifying households. Students qualify if they receive a Pell Grant, FNS/Food Stamp benefits, or meet any other eligibility guidelines. Search for providers in your area.
- Order a hotspot: Eligible Durham Tech students have the opportunity to purchase Wi-Fi hotspots. Explore options through PCs for People
- Discount Programs: Learn about discount programs Access from AT&T, AT&T FIber, Spectrum Internet Assist, and the Verizon Forward Program.
For information about borrowing a laptop, contact the Durham Tech Library at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about purchasing a low-cost laptop, contact Antonio McNeill at email@example.com.
Need to build your computer skills?
Durham Tech has two resources for our students to support you in building your computer skills:
- Digital Literacy Tutoring: The Center for Academic Excellence is offering tutoring in basic computer skills. To schedule an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 919-536-7200, ext. 2404.
- Technology Awareness for the Workplace: Learn how to use the computer to locate job openings, create a résumé and cover letters, complete online applications on the internet, use social media for effective networking, and build an electronic employment portfolio. The course fee is waived for those who meet eligibility requirements.