Students or applicants who need to submit documentation to International Student Services should do this via the secure Electronic Document Submission Process or mailed to International Student Services/Center for the Global Learner at Durham Tech (1637 E. Lawson St, Durham, NC 27703).

Please feel free to email the International Student Advisors with any questions regarding your immigration status and beyond, and we will do our best to support you.

1. Choose a program that fits your goals.

View the list of Program and Pathways. For students whose first language is not US English, English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses can help improve your higher-level English skills necessary for to successfully complete coursework for your chosen program.

2, Complete an online application.

Complete an online applicationView information about enrollment due dates.

If you attended high school out of the US, follow these instructions (pdf) to complete the educational section of the application.

 3, Complete residency determination to establish if students qualify for in-state or out-of-state tuition.

Part of the application process involves completing the residency determination to establish if students qualify for in-state or out-of-state tuition. For assistance completing the residency application, contact the Residency Determination Service (RDS) at 919-835-2290 or visit

4. Submit Proof of Completion of a Degree

Submit proof of completion of a High School or the Equivalent, or a College Degree. Any documents not in English must be accompanied by an official English Translation.

Educational Documents from Outside the US

  • Submit your official high school degree, diploma, national test scores, or your official college/university degree or diploma to International Student Services/Center for the Global Learner (Building 1, room 1-148), via the Secure Electronic Document Submission System or via mail (1637 E. Lawson St, Durham, NC 27703). Originals received by mail can be returned by request. If you are not sure what to provide, email
  • To earn transfer credit for college/university courses taken outside the US, you must submit an official course by course evaluation by an acceptable company. The evaluation should be sent directly (electronically or by mail) from the company to Durham Tech, or you can submit the official evaluation in a sealed, unopened envelope to the Admissions, Registration and Records office (Wynn Center, Building 10, 10-201). Note: English language or literature courses will not transfer from any country outside the US.

Educational Documents from the US

  • Submit sealed, official US high school or college/university transcripts to the Admissions, Registration, and Records office (Wynn Center, Building 10, room 10-201, via mail to Durham Tech Student Records, 1637 E. Lawson St, Durham, NC 27703), or have the institution submit electronic transcripts through an approved transcript service such as College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC), Credential Solutions, DiplomaSender, National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment, Scribbles, or any other authorized electronic transcript service provider approved by the College to
  • Transfer credit will be issued for college/university courses completed that meet the Transfer Credit Award procedure.
  • Original US diplomas (as proof of admission) can be presented only in person at the Admissions, Registration and Records office.
5. Submit Valid Immigration Documents

Submit immigration documents (see chart below) to International Student Services/Center for the Global Learner (Building 1, room 1-148) or via the Secure Electronic Document Submission System. Copies of documents can also be submitted by mail to Durham Tech, International Student Services, 1637 E. Lawson St, Durham, NC 27703.

If your status is not listed, contact International Student Services for more information.

*If you changed your status in the US, submit an approval notice instead of a visa stamp. Print your I-94 via this website.

J-1: Visa stamp*, passport, I-94, DS-2019s

J-2: Visa stamp*, passport, I-94, DS-2019s; all J-1 docs

TPS: EAD/Work Permit and/or Approval Notice

H-1B: Visa stamp*, passport, I-94, approval notice

H-4: Visa stamp*, passport, I-94,approval notice; all H-1B docs

F-2: Visa stamp*, passport, I-94, I-20; all F-1 docs

Asylee: I-94 OR Approval notice OR (if pending) EAD & receipt

Refugee: I-94 OR Refugee Approval document

Permanent Resident: Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals: EAD/Work permit and/or I-821 Approval Notice

6. Apply for Financial Aid

Apply for Financial Aid. Only some non-US citizens can qualify for Financial Aid. You must be admitted to a program to receive financial aid. Visiting students do not qualify. Visit the Financial Aid office in the Wynn Center (Building 10), room 10-210. Durham Tech’s school code: 005448.

7. Complete a ConnectSession

Complete a ConnectSession (New Student Orientation). Recommended, but not required, for all new students

8. Take Placement Tests (English, Math, Computer, and English Speaking, if needed)

Take Placement Tests (English, Math, Computer, and English Speaking, if needed)

  • Talk to an advisor to see if you require placement testing. Some recent US high school graduates do not need to take tests.
  • All students who have not earned a US high school diploma, have not taken college level English in the US, or do not have adequate AP, SAT, or ACT scores will need to take the Accuplacer ESL test (reading, language use, sentence meaning, and listening).
  • Health Technologies program applicants should consult with a Health Tech advisor to go over additional testing requirements.
  • Testing is in Wynn Center (Building 10), room 10-300 by appointment. Bring a photo ID and your student ID number. Schedules and test prep materials are online.
9. Meet with an Advisor and Register for Courses
  • If you took the Accuplacer ESL test, after your test you will meet with an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Advisor in the CGL (Building 1, room 148). They will talk to you about your English placement and register you for EFL classes if needed.
  • If you tested out of taking EFL classes, you may need additional testing before you meet with an academic advisor.
  • If you did not need the Accuplacer ESL test due to AP, SAT, or ACT scores or US college English credit, you can meet with an academic advisor in the Advising Center located in the Wynn Center (Building 10), room 10-200. 
10. Pay for Courses

If you do not pay by your registration deadline, your courses will be deregistered.


  • If you are a recent graduate of Durham or Orange County/Chapel Hill-Carrboro High Schools, you may qualify for Durham Tech Promise for up to $2,000 (over four semesters).
  • Most financial need-based and merit-based Scholarships at Durham Tech are for students who have already taken classes at Durham Tech.  A few scholarships for new students are available if students apply during the March 15 - April 15 application period prior to beginning at Durham Tech. New students who are awarded scholarships must meet the scholarship criteria at the time they are awarded. 
  • Learn more about scholarship opportunities for all immigration statuses.

For appointments or questions, call the Center for the Global Learner at 919-536-7264, ext. 3228 or email