Applying to Four-Year Universities

When can I transfer?

You can transfer whenever an institution accepts you. For most universities, students may apply as transfer students when they have 24 transferable credit hours. There is abundant evidence that students who complete the degree at the community college are more successful than students who leave before completing the degree.

Does the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) mean I can automatically transfer to one of the 16 campuses within the UNC System?

No. You must still apply and be accepted. The admissions procedure is still quite competitive, and certain programs are more selective in their admissions than others. However, the Transfer Assured Admissions Policy does assure that Associate in Arts and in Science graduates who are covered by the CAA will be accepted to at least one of the 16 UNC institutions.

In addition, Durham Tech has five guaranteed admissions pathways to the following universities:

The Transfer Assured Admissions Policy (TAAP)

The Transfer Assured Admissions Policy (TAAP) assures admission to one of the 16 UNC institutions with the following stipulations:

  • Admission is not assured to a specific campus or specific program or major;
  • Students must have graduated from a NC community college with an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree;
  • Students must meet all requirements of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA);
  • Students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the college from which he or she graduated, and a grade of C or better in all CAA courses;
  • Students must be academically eligible for re-admission to the last institution attended;
  • Students must meet judicial requirements of the institution to which the student applies; and
  • Students must apply to and meet all application requirements at the receiving institution including the submission of all required documentation by stated deadlines.
Assistance with the transfer application process

The Transfer Center offers application and essay writing workshops each semester and can provide advice in individual appointments. Request an appointment online.

Requesting transcripts

Order official Durham Tech transcripts and have them sent to another college. You can print out unofficial copies of your transcripts in Self-Service.

If I have an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Degree, can I still transfer?

AAS plans of study contain some transferable courses, such as ACA 122, ENG 111, ENG 112, and social science and humanities electives that are transferable to a four-year university. The majority of the courses, however, are not guaranteed to transfer. Durham Tech does have some transfer agreements that make AAS transfer easier to specific university programs. You can find links to these schools and their agreements from the Transfer Center website under Four-Year College and University Partnerships.

Is there a limit to how many courses I can transfer to a university? 

Most universities do not award transfer credit in excess of 64 hours from community colleges. Course work in excess of the university’s limit may be used for placement. Two schools that accept more transfer credit are UNC Chapel Hill, which accepts 75 transfer credits, and NC State University, which accepts an unlimited number of transfer credits, although 25% of the degree must be completed at NC State. Check with your transfer university to be sure.

Applying for financial aid at a four-year university

Applying for financial aid at a four-year university begins with completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA. All students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA even if they do not believe they will quality for any financial aid. Some scholarships require FAFSA, even though they are not need-based, so it is always good to complete the form. Some colleges and universities, such as UNC-Chapel Hill, will require you to fill out an additional online application, the CSS Profile. These forms can be time-consuming to complete, and they may require your parents to input their financial information, so get started early.

Be aware of financial aid deadlines, which usually are close to application deadlines. If a university has a “priority deadline,” that means students who meet this deadline will have priority consideration for financial aid.

The Transfer Center also offers a workshop called Paying for the Four-Year Degree that provides an overview of the types of financial aid available to students when they transfer to a four-year university. Check the Transfer Center for dates and times. 

Scholarship information

The Transfer Center maintains a list of transfer scholarships. The Triangle Community Foundation is recommended as it administers many smaller local scholarships. The Center for the Global Learner maintains a list of Scholarships for All Immigration Statuses.