English for Academic Purposes
- Courses are for-credit (curriculum-based).
- Tuition based on credit hours.
- Classes are offered in reading, writing, grammar, and listening/speaking.
- Courses qualify for federal financial aid (FAFSA).
- Level 4 classes (EFL 074/094) meet college reading/writing prerequisites.
- Classes are student-centered.
- Student population is diverse.
- Small classes provide more opportunities for teacher/student feedback.
- Coursework includes a variety of topics, such as biology, literature, psychology, health technologies, philosophy, current events, culture, sociology, etc.)
EAP Mission Statement
The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program delivers dynamic student-centered curriculum and instruction to non-native speakers of US English in an inclusive and equitable environment. We facilitate the development of academic, professional, and personal language skills, including proficiency in listening, reading, speaking, writing, technology, and intercultural communication/cultural competence. This leads to student success in US college/university systems and the development of employability skills that benefit the students and strengthen community partnerships. In further support of the Center for the Global Learner’s (CGL) mission, the EAP program is an integral part of Durham Tech’s vision to empower learners to embrace diversity, equality, and equity to enrich our communities.
Students interested in this program should follow the appopriate Enrollment Steps since application to the EAP program requires admission to Durham Tech. Enrollment steps include taking the Accuplacer ESL test. View the link below for more information.
Student Benefits: GoPass (bus pass), free Office 365, Emergency Financial Assistance, Food Pantry, Optical Shop, and more are listed in the Student Services section.
Project TALK: A place for local and international students to interact with each other in a casual and social environment (see events below).
If you have questions or need more information, complete an information request form or email Paula Wilder, Director, EAP and Continuing Education for Non-Native English Speakers or call 919-536-7200, ext. 4053.
Durham Technical Community College is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation for the period August 2018 through August 2023 and agrees to uphold the CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions. CEA is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the U.S. For further information about this accreditation, please contact CEA, 1001 North Fairfax Street, Suite 630, Alexandria, VA 22314, 703-665-3400, www.cea-accredit.org.