Steps for F-1 Students Transferring to Durham Tech
- To be eligible to transfer to Durham Tech, your current school must verify that are in valid F-1 status and eligible for transfer. If this is not the case, you must apply for reinstatement at your current school, or leave the United States with an I-20 from another school.
- Durham Tech does not assist current out-of-status F-1 students who need reinstatement.
- If you are currently on post-completion OPT you must be transferred before the end of your 60-day grace period (after OPT ends). If you want to transfer prior to your OPT end date, your OPT will automatically terminate early.
- You may not be eligible to apply for, or renew, an NC Driver’s License/Permit until you are registered via the SEVIS system for your first term at Durham Tech. Registration with SEVIS not usually done until after classes begin but can request it earlier (up to 30 days before classes begin) if you are fully registered for classes at that time.
- Admission to Durham Tech does not constitute admission to a specific program. Many programs have additional requirements and may have competitive admissions requirements.
- If you are exploring other schools in addition to Durham Tech, please let us know.
Deadline to Transfer - At least three weeks before school begins
Complete the steps listed below and submit the Transfer Eligibility Form by the deadline. Allow at least one week after you have completed all requirements (and after your transfer release date) for your I-20 to be prepared.
Complete residency determination to establish if students qualify for in-state or out-of-state tuition.
- For assistance completing the application, contact Residency Determination Service (RDS) at 919-835-2290 or visit ncresidency.org.
Complete the F-1 Student Application-Supplemental form. The form can be filled out on the computer and then printed out.
Sign Responsibilities of F-1 Students Under SEVIS form.
- Print out form, read carefully, and sign
Provide proof of completion of high school (or equivalent) degree.
Official high school degree/diploma/national test scores or official college/university degree or diploma. For many countries, a high school or college transcript does not have the information required. Contact us if you are unsure what document to provide. Any documents that are not in English, must be accompanied by an official English Translation.
If you have completed college or university courses outside of the US, you must obtain an official evaluation to receive any transfer credit for past courses.
- Any documents not in English, must be accompanied by an official English Translation.
Sign up for a ConnectSession (Orientation).
Prepare for and take placement tests.
- If you have adequate AP, SAT, or ACT scores or college level English taken in the US, you may not need to take tests.
- All students who need English testing must first take the Accuplacer ESL test (reading, language use, sentence meaning, and listening).
- After English testing, meet with an EFL Advisor for an evaluation of your test scores. EFL classes may be required.
- Health Technologies program applicants should consult with a Health Tech advisor to go over additional testing requirements
Provide the following documents:
- I-20 showing status from current school, plus all previous 1-20s issued.
- Current valid passport and VISA stamp and/or approval notice.
- I-94 and entry stamp and other docs indicating status.
- OPT EAD (if applicable)
Provide Evidence of Financial Support
- Bank Statement or Letter from Bank showing a balance of at least $23,000 USD or the equivalent. All funds should be in US dollars or a currency equivalency (www.xe.com) must be submitted.
- Sponsorship Documents if the funding is in a sponsor’s account.
- $5,000 is required for each F-2 dependent.
Review Health Insurance Options. Durham Tech strongly recommends health insurance for all F-1s and F-2s.
After you complete the previous steps, we will give you a Transfer Eligibility Form
Submit the Durham Tech Transfer Eligibility Form signed by you and by a “Designated School Official” at your current school. Your school may require proof of admission to Durham Tech or other paperwork before they release your record. We can provide an admission letter for you if needed.
After we receive the signed Transfer Eligibility Form
- If you are eligible for transfer to Durham Tech, we will contact your school to have them “release” your record in SEVIS.
- After your record is released to Durham Tech, we will prepare a pending transfer I-20 for you. Our office will email you for you to pick it up from our office once it is ready.
- Register and pay for Classes – If you do not pay by your registration deadline, your classes will be dropped.
- Attend the mandatory International Student Orientation (one week before classes begin). Ask ISS for the exact date.
|Term||Date of Orientation|
|Spring 2020||January 8, 2020|
|Fall 2020||August 12, 2020|
After classes begin we will prepare a Transfer Completed I-20
- We will contact you to pick up the newest I-20.
- You will be able to obtain/renew your NC Driver’s License one week after the date this I-20 was issued.